Author Topic: MH Insurance  (Read 24009 times)

Keith Cooper

Re: MH Insurance
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:37 AM »
Recently opted for a policy thru Overland Insurance. Compared coverage and prices with GMAC, State Farm and Progressive. In our case Overland looked to be the best option. FYI the policy is actually thru Triumphe Casualty which is part of National Interstate

Robert Mathis

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
I have State Farm, mostly because I have them for everything else, including a $1 million liability umbrella, and it requires underlying insurance with SF. However, my premium on the Beaver is right at $900/year with $1000 deductables. The only things they don't cover for me are my boat and a condo, neither of which they would write. I've been lucky to be accident free for a long time, but they have replaced several windshields, including one on the Beaver last year, with no hassle, and no deductable (Florida Law). If I didn't need to Liability rider, I might shop around.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
Remember that companies like State Farm and Allstate do not cover full timers. Your primary homeowner's (if you have one other than the MH) liability coverage extends to your motorhome while paked and being used as living quarters.

Robert I have my umbrella through Allstate and my motorhome with a National Interstate Company with the correct underlying liability limit. I have had one windshield and a run in with a guy wire from a telephone pole and had a -0- deductible because of the diminishing deductible feature and the FL windshield law. I like it that way so the motorhome incident does not affect my auto insurance.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
I used to have different carriers for different assets, largely based on price.  Then I started to wonder about issues where the Beaver and Ford toad were with different carriers but connected by tow bar while I'm dodging danger at 60 mph.  Like for, example,  a school bus full of kids and I both decide to change lanes and the Ford makes contact with the bus while I'm at the controls of Beaver.   I called USAA, asked if they would insure everything and add on an umbrella for extra liability.  

And, Jeremy, if you started a thread with stories like that, I'd be able to add two!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »
Bill your toad becomes basically a trailer and your motorhome (vehicle controlling the toad) the primary liability source. Your toad's auto insurance policy may take on some secondary liability if the motorhome's liability is insufficent to cover the  liability loss but the auto company may go after you for carrying inadequate motorhome liability.

The Liability and exess liability is the safest way to go but does not have to all be with the same carrier. We carry our homeowners, auto and excess liability(umbrella) with one carrier and the MH with another.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
My long-time (38 yrs) State Farm agent discouraged me from going with them when we switched from the old gas coach to the Beaver.  He was right, and the club-associated GMAC policy was best coverage and price, even though everything else, house, pickup and toad, boat, life, umbrella, etc. are with SF.  The old motor home was with SF, but a new diesel was a different ball game for them, and not their "field of expertise", even though they could have written the policy.   The liability suspension feature while stored means our actual cost is about $400/yr.  It was over 5 yrs. ago so I may be recalling wrong, but I think that is where the SF policy was lacking on the Beaver, even though we used a liability suspension feature with SF and the old rig.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

larryandcarolhershey

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Talk about confusing. For years we've been sticking with the tried and true. Went to Progressive when we bought the 05 Patriot Thunder at Lazydays, and have kept them as a matter of convenience. They have covered repairs seamlessly (think RV with Robin Williams), and the replacement policy worked oh so well when we caught fire and melted while driving on I-15. But, we were still technically part timers. When we officially went to full time, the rates nearly doubled, but the coverage stayed the same. And we no longer had the backup of the homeowners policy which had covered the majority of the loss of personal possessions in the aforementioned fire. Now, the bill has come and they went up another 50 percent! I now need some contact names for reliable carriers for the 08 Patriot Thunder. Any help will be, as always, greatly appreciated.

Larry Hershey

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
I think you'd better call Ron Jarvie at Overland Insurance, Larry: 1-800-677-4027.  

They are a BAC sponsor and I've yet to see anything but extremely satisfied postings here from Ron's customers.  In fact, a substantial number of Ron's customers used to be with Progressive.  

You can also link to a form for applying to Overland off the Beaver Club website, http://www.beaveramb.org/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

larryandcarolhershey

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
Thanks I'll call him tomorrow

Gerald Farris

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
Larry,
When you call Ron at Overland, be sure to mention that you are a BAC member because Overland's support for the club increases when a BAC member takes out a policy with them and since you are a BAC member he will give you the best deal possible.

Gerald

larryandcarolhershey

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
Thanks Gerald, I got his quote the other day, and finally got to speak with him yesterday. Sounds like the place to go. Better coverage and nearly half of what Progressive wanted. And yes, we talked about his contributions to BAC.

Larry

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
I did a search here on the Forum for coach insurance after having received a few quotes this week.  I received a quote from Hartford through AARP that is about half the quote I received from Overland.  Interestingly, the Hartford-AARP quote has higher coverage limits and included my toad while the Overland quote didn't include my toad.  And a Progressive quote was nearly twice that of Overland.  I read here in a post that I should go to Hartford direct - not go to Hartford-AARP - and that will save about 25%.  The information I read on the Forum is from last year and older.

Does anyone have a new experience for this year to help guide me before my current policy expires in late August?  BTW, I currently have GMAC through Good Sam, and its cost is nearly double that of the recent Hartford-AARP quote.  My brother has Hartford and he pays about what Hartford-AARP quoted me this week.  At this juncture I am leaning hard to Hartford... assuming what I hear from you folks sustains that leaning.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Larry Williams

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Quote from: David T. Richelderfer
I did a search here on the Forum for coach insurance after having received a few quotes this week.  I received a quote from Hartford through AARP that is about half the quote I received from Overland.  Interestingly, the Hartford-AARP quote has higher coverage limits and included my toad while the Overland quote didn't include my toad.  And a Progressive quote was nearly twice that of Overland.  I read here in a post that I should go to Hartford direct - not go to Hartford-AARP - and that will save about 25%.  The information I read on the Forum is from last year and older.

Does anyone have a new experience for this year to help guide me before my current policy expires in late August?  BTW, I currently have GMAC through Good Sam, and its cost is nearly double that of the recent Hartford-AARP quote.  My brother has Hartford and he pays about what Hartford-AARP quoted me this week.  At this juncture I am leaning hard to Hartford... assuming what I hear from you folks sustains that leaning.
I have been a Hartford-AARP customer for several years. I have found their rates are very competitive. Another benefit is they provide free roadside assistance for motorhomes, although I have never used it. And I just processed my first claim in years when I accidentally released the air brake in my driveway and my new to me rig rolled into my fence gate (I am now a big believer in wheel chocks, LOL). They processed the claim quickly and fairly. And since I had not had a claim in years, they reduced the normal $500 deductible to $100. BTW, BCS gave me a very competitive repair/paint quote and did the work in early May. I was very pleased with both the insurance settlement and BCS's repair.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
I have used National Interstate with Overland as my agent for several years. Ron Jarvie at Overland has given me excellent service and the claims (one windshield and one bay door damage) were handled by National interstate with no problems.

Gerald  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
Overland also gives you a break on Coach Net coverage. I had AAA RV Premier ( no problems with coverage/towing) but Coach Net provides similar coverage at a lower cost.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp