Author Topic: MH Insurance  (Read 24012 times)

Jerry Parker

MH Insurance
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
I am a new MH owner (1998 Patriot) and currently have State Farm Insurance. I got a quote from Overland Insurance. I am wondering what kind of experience others have had with Overland and whoever they use as a carrier.

Jeremy Parrett

Re: MH Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »
We have The Hartford  through AARP . Absolutely the best . No questions when I whipped off the rear end last winter.

barbhalsell

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:12 AM »
WHAT? How did you whip off a rear end?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:54:51 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:52:16 AM »
UM...er well........needed diesel in Brunswick GA, and got into a BP station for cars.......absolutely no turning room.  On departing, caught rear end of service door and bumper cap passenger side (separate from rest of rear end thank goodness) on bollard, at end of pump island.  Felt a slight bump.......on looking, after getting onto street, rear bumper hanging on road!!! Lazydays paint shop bill $3000. Hartford paid it less deductible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:56:56 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
I am an insurance agent for a national carrier and do not use their Motorhome product. The specialty companies represented by agencies like Overland have a much more friendly policy from companies like National Interstate.

Allstate excludes fulltimer coverage and will deny a claim from a fulltimer. Campground Liability is important if you do not have home or renters insurance to cover your liability while parked.

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
Oh geez, I bet that was a nightmare...not to mention very embarrassing! One of the reasons I am a little paranoid about driving our rig.
I do want to second your opinion on The Hartford. We have State Farm for everything else and have had for 35 years. But when it came time to insure the Beav, The best State Farm could do was $200.00 per year HIGHER than The Hartford. Obviously we are with The Hartford for the coach. Interestingly. They were neck and neck on the house and auto policies so have not changed those.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
I am an insurance agent for a national carrier and do not use their Motorhome product. The specialty companies represented by agencies like Overland have a much more friendly policy from companies like National Interstate.

Allstate excludes fulltimer coverage and will deny a claim from a fulltimer. Campground Liability is important if you do not have home or renters insurance to cover your liability while parked.

We are fulltimers and use http://www.poliseek.com/ as our broker.  They are a commercial member of the Escapees RV Club, but you don't have to be a member of  Escapees to be a customer.  When we purchased the MH and toad last year they shopped several major "RV insurance" companies and we were very pleased with the coverage they were able to provide us.

JimCasazze

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
You might want to try http://www.blueskyrvinsurance.com/  Excellent rates and programs.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:35 AM »
I too had State Farm on our old gas motor home, as well as on everything else.  We've been with them and the same agent since about 1974, when as a young whippersnapper they gave me a good rate on my 1970 Shelby GT500;  nearly every year since I spend hours comparing other companys' offerings and quotes, and SF always wins out.  Familiarity with the agent and vice versa counts for something, too.

But when we went to the larger diesel, State Farm just isn't in to that sort of thing, and wasn't competitive.  Our agent didn't even try to sell us the policy and said there was better available elsewhere for less.  We ended up with Camping World's version of GMAC, which is probably similar to what FMCA offers.  We also got a Hartford quote, but as I recall the best money incentive required switching our other policies to them as a combo deal.  Nevertheless, it penciled out best with the dedicated GMAC for the RV, State Farm everything else.  Because we aren't full-timers, GMAC's option to suspend liability while the rig is home was a plus.

I did try to go with Overland when they first got on BAC's bandwagon, but although I really like the agency, the totality of features and cost just worked out better to stick with GMAC - at least for us, for now.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Parker

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
Boy a lot of info to digest on insurance. I think my plan is to go with Overland.  The campground coverage is something I had never thought about and I like the replacement cost if the MH is totaled for some reason. Probably not likely, but better than a depreciated amount.
Thanks for all the responses.

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Joel i'm with you. We talked to Overland several times and the numbers always came back in favor of GMAC, so we kept the MH with GMAC.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »
The Hartford have our Jeep  as well as the Beaver on a combo policy . I cannot fault them for Customer Service even when the "accident" was caused by my carelessness. We have a condo in Florida and may well add it to this policy unless we manage to sell it !!! I believe our premium is around $1800 per annum with $150,000 on the Beaver and $8000 on the Jeep. Deductibles are $500 and $250 respectively.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
We have National Interstate and just had to have our windshield replaced due to cracking from a rock hit. They were very painless to deal with. So far I could not be more pleased. As you know a one peice windshield is not cheap and they never questioned the bill. Great folks to deal with.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
I also had a great experience with National Interstate. Agent Christopher Held called me within an hour of my claim. I damaged my rear corner and he told to take some pics and get it fixed. A check arrived the following week. My windshield also had a "star" and leaked a bit so they replaced that too. WOW  :X

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
We have had excellent claim service from National Interstate.