Author Topic: RV Tires On Wood or Not - 3mo Layover  (Read 8194 times)

Ray Kaminsky

RV Tires On Wood or Not - 3mo Layover
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
I have a 2007 Beaver Contessa and am wintering over for 3 mos in Apache Junction, AZ (desert conditions).  The sites are all like new well draining crushed gravel and I have tire covers protecting the tires.  Should I also put tires off ground on wood if staying 3 mos?

Bill Sprague

Re: RV Tires On Wood or Not - 3mo Layover
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
My interpretation of everything I've read, heard and listened to is that there is no benefit if you are on gravel.  The problem, if it really exists, is that there may be solvents in asphalt, or even plastic pads, that can leach into the tire rubber.  Gravel and concrete don't have solvents.  

It may be that the pitch in wood or the glue in plywood is not good either!

It is also my understanding that the biggest threat to tires is lack of use.  The compounds in the tires that reduce aging don't work without some heat and massage.  In other words, if not driven, they age.  Tire covers may help against direct sunlight, but don't do a thing for the bigger enemy of ozone.  

Bill Schneider

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
Most feed and/or farm supply stores carry a rubber mat product used in horse trailers. It comes on a 4 ft wide roll.  It's available in 1/4 to 3/4 thickness. I used the 1/4 inch thick mat. I cut the mat into 1 ft X 2 ft pieces. I use them when I know I will be parked for more than a week or two. They work great on any surface  and the mat is fairly inexpensive. (about $5 a linear foot for the 1/4 inch). Much better than wood. It won't rot and it's easy to store.
Something you might want to try.
Good luck, Bill

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:03:03 AM »
I think being on gravel for just a few months in the winter desert, your tires should be just fine.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Ray Kaminsky

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Thanks to all the contributors!!

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »
I am puzzled by the suggestion that tire rubber will absorb solvents from asphalt, plastic or from anything else.  I have mats on my garage floor that are made from recycled tires.  They started their present incarnation as ground cover under a playground in the back yard.  when the kids outgrew the playground, they moved inside.  they are now about 30 yrs since being ground from old tires, so their original production was likely another 10 yrs before that.  In the time that I have had them, there is absolutely no sign of anything affecting them chemically.  They have had solvents on them many times, as I have used solvents to clean oil drippings off the surface.  They have had road salt, sand, dust, dirt, mud, in short anything your RV tires might encounter.  Chemically, the rubber seems to be completely inert.  Mechanically, they are subject to the same damage as tires, ie extremely little.  Even being outdoors for a number of years, there is no sign of UV damage.
Do we have a chemist in our midst who can put the concerns expressed in this and other threads, into perspective?  I would be especially grateful if there is someone who can explain the reasons why RV tires are subject to age concerns despite no outward appearance of degradation, while car and light truck tires don't have the same concern.  Do heavy trucks change their tires based on the DOT code?  Are our RV tires different in some way? If so, what are the advantages of that difference to the RV owner?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
I would be especially grateful if there is someone who can explain the reasons why RV tires are subject to age concerns despite no outward appearance of degradation, while car and light truck tires don't have the same concern.  Do heavy trucks change their tires based on the DOT code?  Are our RV tires different in some way? If so, what are the advantages of that difference to the RV owner?

RV tires are no different than any others physically, but they typically get far less usage per year than do those on cars or trucks (light or heavy).   I've always worn out my car tires long before they had gone even 5 years and heavy truckers can put 100k miles on in a year or even less.  The aging takes place due to chemical reactions in the rubber brought about by a combination of heat, sunlight, cold and chemicals (like ozone) in the air.  RVers simply own their tires longer than most other drivers and the effects of the aging process build up over time.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »
Thanks Joel;

i just checked the DOT on my car, "3205", and those tires have only 30k km or so on them, so will go another 5 years before they are worn out.  Yet I have never heard of anyone changing out their car tires for age alone.  On my other car, I have winter tires that get less than 5k km per yr, so from the beginning are likely to last at least 10 yrs.  Again the tire store doesn't express any concern over aging.  Just seems like RV tires get all this hype over aging, yet shouldn't be any different than car tires.

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
For my 2 cents................it's been my experience with talking to tire dealers as well as reps of major tire makers is that  tires loose their oils over the years. This results in sidewall cracking and the tire becoming weaker. I beleive that it isn't an issue of the surface the tires are parked on leaching into the tire but the tire leaching its oils into the concrete or asphalt they are parked on.

And of course uv damage contrubutes to tire aging.

I use 6 floor tiles from Home Depot placing one under each tire if I am parked more than a couple days. If you don't use a barrier between the tire and concrete, etc. you will probably see black tire marks when you pull away.

As far as gravel type surfaces I would spend the 99 cents per tile and use them under my tires, just for piece of mind.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
Again the tire store doesn't express any concern over aging.  Just seems like RV tires get all this hype over aging, yet shouldn't be any different than car tires.

As Bill iterated, RV tires are different than car tires, if only in the way they are used.  All tires rely on being driven, and as he put it, massaged, so protective oils are continually or at least regularly moved to the surface.  RV tires are more likely than car tires to be subjected to extended parking, with fewer opportunities for fresh chemical movement throughout the tire substrate.  Therefore, age has to be the primary indicator of failure risk for motorhome tires, whereas mileage is the better risk indicator for cars.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:58:09 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »
The following is from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration website:

Are some vehicles more prone to tire aging problems?

Tire aging is generally not an issue with vehicles that are driven regularly. Tires will wear out and need to be replaced before aging becomes a safety concern. But those with occasional use - like recreational vehicles or collector cars, for example - could be susceptible. The spares on all vehicles also are prone to aging problems because they seldom get used or replaced. In those instances, the structural integrity of the tire may be weakened - and potentially hazardous - even though the tire still has a great deal of remaining tread.

When does NHTSA recommend that tires should be replaced?

While tire life will ultimately depend on the tires’ service conditions and the environment in which they operate, there are some general guidelines. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that tires be replaced every six years regardless of use.  In addition, a number of tire manufacturers cite 10 years as the maximum service life for tires.  Check the owner’s manual for specific recommendations for your vehicle. Remember, it is always wise to err on the side of caution if you suspect your vehicle has tires that are over six years of age.

In essence, there really isn't any difference between RV and car tires, except how they are used.  If you have winter tires that only get seasonal use you may want to consider age when deciding if they need replacement.