Author Topic: Exhaust extender  (Read 6778 times)

Bill Stireman

Exhaust extender
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
The exhaust on my '04 Beaver Monterey, with 400 hp C-9 Cat, extends about 1 inch from the side of the coach, and every time I travel, there is a black coating of carbon on the side of the coach.  Does anyone know where I can get an extender?  The diameter measures 4 & 1/2 inches, and all of the extenders I have been able to find on line are 2.5", 4" or 5".  I tried Beaver Coach Sales, and they said they would check it out and call me back, but they did not.

Bill Stireman
04" Beaver Monterey
400 hp Cat C-9
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:14:47 PM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Exhaust extender
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
Is it a 4.5 inch tip on a 4 inch exhaust pipe? Do you want it to be chrome? You might try a truck chrome shop?

Frank Bannert

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
Bill, I purchased a exhaust extender on ebay. I bought a 18" turn down and cut it off at the beginning of the turn down so it would push the exhaust straight out. I had it with the turn down straight toward the ground and everytime we entered a campground that was not paved it would make to much dust and cover our tow so I cut it where the exhaust would go straight out and I no longer have this problem. I got it for 19.95 and it is stainless steel. I also had to trim about a inch off the existing pipe because it would stick  out to far . I also tried pointing it at a angle going out to the back but then I got the exhaust fumes on our white Saturn Vue. I think the straight  out works the best for me.
Frank

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
I have the same problem, with dust being blown up by the exhaust, which is deflected towards the road.
What size extender do I need to divert the exhaust straight out the back, or out the side?? C12 455HP Cat.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:16:10 PM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
beavermarquis, if you exhaust exit straight out the back and you pull a toad, it will get diesel ash all over it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:17:29 PM by 14 »

Frank Bannert

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
My exhaust  exits to the side and I have no problem with exhaust getting on my tow. I have a 4" exhaust pipe and I ordered the 18"x 4 1/2" turn down and it came with clamp and it fits right over the pipe with no modifications needed. No welding etc. I measured where the exhaust exited  because I wanted the stainless to show  not the clamp. I cut the stainless turn down with a chop saw and then I cut the the exhaust pipe the correct length so the stainless tip would show. This is a very simple thing to do.
Frank

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:15:54 AM »
My extender tip is rusted and perforated.   For the time being, I have used my Dremel tool, to remove the perforated down turn part, so the exhaust is now aimed to the rear, with enough deflection to miss my Jeep TOAD.
Thanks for your help.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:08:39 AM by 4115 »

Bill Stireman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
I re-measured and determined the exhaust was 5" not 4.5".  Then I found an 8.5" straight extender at makarios rv.com  It fit fine and sticks out about 6" which should take care of my problem.

Bill Stireman
'04 Beaver Monterey
400 hp C-9 Cat

Butch Martin

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
  I re-measured and determined the exhaust was 5" not 4.5".  Then I found an 8.5" straight extender at makarios rv.com  It fit fine and sticks out about 6" which should take care of my problem

Now if some law enforcement official doesn't catch you for overwidth.....

Butch

Keith Oliver

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
Most jurisdictions allow up to 4" protrusion of any "non-safety" item past the 102" total allowable width.  Safety items like marker lights and mirrors are allowed 12".  So unlwess your coach is only 100" wide, you are out 2" too far.  
I took a tape measure to mine and found it bang on 102".  Being a Monaco, yours may not be exactly the same.  Your spec sheet should tell you, or a tape measure will for sure.