Author Topic: hydraulic fluid  (Read 9896 times)

Mike Nunn

hydraulic fluid
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:43 AM »
I need to add a little fluid to my hydraulic reservoir. The manual list Texaco rando hd46 as the product to use. Not sure I can find that product.  The fluid looks like transmission fluid.  Could someone offer some help. 2007 Contessa 400 cat.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:29:10 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

Re: hydraulic fluid
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:51 AM »
Lippert says to use ATF.  I assume are talking about the reservoir for the slides.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »
According to Texaco http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/TexacoOilEquivalents.pdf Rando HD 46 is just medium weight hydraulic fluid.  I use ATF in mine.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
I looked at the Dexron 3 specs for various viscosity indexes as well as the Rondo HD 46 and they were quite different. Not sure if they are compatible fluids and if there might not be a lubrication performance factor that caused them to use this fluid in the first place. It seems to be a more obscure fluid rather than the easy route of just specing a version of Dexron. Many companies will cross reference their fluids and greases. The 46 designation I think exists in other fluid Mfg lines for hydraulic oil and may indicate compatibiity.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Dexron III or higher is compatible with each other so you can use IV a V (Synthetic I think). Dexron is not compatible with Hydraulic Oil.

Most hydraulic applictions in the Beaver family uses Dexron.

Mike Nunn

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Gil, you ask if it was the hydraulic for the slides. I only have one hydraulic reservoir as far as i know. it is a rather large round tank sits on left side in engine compartment. I know there are three filters in it as i watched as service change them.  thanks to all for the comments. If i am unable to find the texaco fluid looks like atf is the best choice????

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
Mike,
The hydraulic reservoir that your are referring to is for the engine driven system that supplies the fluid that powers the side radiator cooling fan and the power steering system. The hydraulic slides have a 12V pump motor and use a different reservoir that is located at the pump.

The Rando HD 46 oil that your manual specifies is not Dexron. It is a SAE 10W antiwear hydraulic oil. Dexron can be used as a substitute if nothing else is available, however antiwear hydraulic oil is preferable. Here is a chart that list other major oil brands that are interchangeable; http://www.seversonoil.com/lub_hydraulic.html

Gerald      

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
Just to clarify this Gerald. We are using two different oils here? One for the rad fan and power steering and the other for the slide reservoir? Would you please tell me what I should be using in each system.  Thanks, Jeremy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »
Jeremy,
This thread is about the hydraulic fluid for a 2007 Contessa, and therefore I was referring to the fluid requirements for that coach. The fluid requirements for your Marquis are different. The 2000 Marquis uses Dexron III in both hydraulic systems. The engine driven system reservoir is in the RR service bay and the slide and leveling jack reservoir is under you front door steps.

Gerald

Mike Nunn

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
Thanks so much Gerald,the chart really helps. Now I had better check the fluid for the slides. Mike

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
Mike,

The reservoir for the slides is located extreme forward on the driver's side.  You can easily access it with the generator slide open.  While examining the fluid level this would be a good time to get acquainted with emergency operation of the pump.  Not that I'm suggesting you try the procedure but rather you get a good visual on the pump motor and its access plug.  You will likely come to the same conclusion I have, the plug is inaccessable with the generator slide in.  In case we really needed to use the procedure for an inoperative pump motor I suppose the easiest way to access the access plug would be to disconnect the generator slide's hydraulic ram from the slide and then manually pull the generator slide out.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:44:16 AM »
Thanks Gerald.