Author Topic: Radiator Plastic tank  (Read 7282 times)

Les Marzec

Radiator Plastic tank
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
I have a 2003 Patriot Thunder.  My Plastic tank has a very slight leak and I want to replace it.  

It is large and square and mounted next to the Power Cord compartment.

Can someone tell me where Beaver got it from?  I thought I heard that it came from a Ford PU, but not sure.

Appreciate you help

Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Radiator Plastic tank
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
Les,
I am not sure who made the radiator surge tank on the 2003 Thunder. The Ford surge tank that you are referring to was used on  SMC designed Beavers with 2002 being the last one. However you can call Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, and they will tell you who Monaco bought the surge tank from. Some of the Monaco era coaches did not use off of the self surge tanks so you can only get them from a Monaco dealer.

Gerald  

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:30:44 AM »
Depending on the tank material and where the leak is, you might try a local plastic supply house as many will have plastic welding capability and could fab a patch over it.  Pretty common repair.

Les Marzec

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  The coach was built in 2002, probably one of the first Monaco/SMC.  I called Beaver, but they are gone until Tuesday and we were planning on leaving on Wednesday for Indio and Quartzsite.

Plastic welding may be the option until I can get it changed out.

Thanks again and see ya soon.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
I saw a plastic welding kit advertised at Harbor Freight.  I have no idea if or how well it works, but they have a video.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-air-motor-and-temperature-adjustment-96712.html

For a short term solution, you might be able to run with the pressure cap off, especially in the winter.  Without the pressure, the tank might leak less.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:19:17 AM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
For plastic welding, the first thing you need to know what plastic the tank is made from.  Most likely a polyethylene.  A professional shop will have the correct materials to do the repair and more than likely it could be quite permanent.  Should also be pretty inexpensive.

Roger Baldwin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
We have a 2001 Patriot Thunder and was able to buy a new one from Northwestern Supply.  They shipped it to the park we were staying at overnight.

Les Marzec

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Which Northwestern Supply is it.  I googled it and got about 10 of them and none of them seemed to be the correct one.

Thanks

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 04:28:42 AM »
Les,
Rodger was probably referring to Northwest RV Supply in Eugene Oregon.  http://www.nwrvsupply.com/

Gerald

Les Marzec

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
Gerald/Roger

Thanks for the info.  I will contact them Monday AM.

Gerald

Thanks again for all the tips and info that you provied at Quartzsite.  We all appreciate your help.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Les lock tight now makes a plastic epoxy kit, two part in a sealable syringe. I used one the other day to repair a plastic fitting on a microwave, and it worked well. It should work for your tank.

barbhalsell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
There is also a product called plasti-mend
http://plasti-mend.com
available at Amazon too