Author Topic: Splendide fire  (Read 11730 times)

Robert W Carlson

Splendide fire
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
Our Splendide is 6 years old.  In September the dryer portion failed and we called Westland and were referred to RV MD in Tucson.  The electronic board was replaced and the vent was cleaned.  On January 2, while drying one sheet, the smoke alarm sounded.  (Make sure your's is working!)  Smoke was coming from the laundry cabinet.  Opened the doors and looking through the glass in the door we saw flames in the drum.  Left the door closed and shut the power off.  The fire eventually went out.  There was no fire in the vent.  There was a lot of smoke ... spring cleaning came early!  If you have a Splendide, you probably shouldn't leave the coach while it is in operation.  Right now, I don't think I want to replace the laundry, I don't trust it.

Carol Carlson

Joel Weiss

Re: Splendide fire
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
At least you are safe; that's the most important thing.  Clothes and dryers can be replaced.

Although it would be difficult to prove, it sure sounds as if someone left a "ball" of lint in the system that eventually grew in size until it clogged the vent.  I never thought of "not having vent fires" as a plus for the ventless model we have, but maybe it is.  Other than a vent fire it's difficult to imagine a scenario that would lead to actual flames in the drum.

Robert W Carlson

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
We removed the vent pipe to make sure there was no fire in the vent.  It was clean.  Bob cleans it regularly.  Also, the dial that moves from wash to rinse to dry moved by itself to 9 hr delay start.  This indicates to me that the replaced board failed.  Bob called Westland and they didn't know why the safety sensors did not shut the machine down.  I still won't trust it!

Carol Carlson

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »
This is a truly scary situation. This unit has a low wattage drying cycle given it is a 120V unit vs a home unit using 220v. I have felt the exhaust air outside of the coach at the vent and it is barely warm. It is hard to imagine how the fire could happen in the dryer drum unless a short took place and sparks entered the drum and ignited the cloth.

Never have been overly impressed with Italian engineering which usually does not give very Splendide results. I will keep one eye on ours and heed the warning not to leave the coach while it is running. That is hard given it takes forever to wash and dry...

Later Ed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:23:08 PM by 5 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:04:19 AM »
How do you remove the Splendide for a cleaning/inspection??
How does it heat/dry the clothes? Is there an element that heats up during the wash cycle?
Jane tells me the drum in ours gets hot enough to burn skin during the drying cycle.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
How do you remove the Splendide for a cleaning/inspection??
How does it heat/dry the clothes? Is there an element that heats up during the wash cycle?
Jane tells me the drum in ours gets hot enough to burn skin during the drying cycle.

Is yours vented or ventless?  Ours is ventless and until this thread I thought all of them were.

The ventless models are very different in design and operation.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
(1) How do you remove the Splendide for a cleaning/inspection??
(2) How does it heat/dry the clothes? Is there an element that heats up during the wash cycle?
(3) Jane tells me the drum in ours gets hot enough to burn skin during the drying cycle.

We have the model that vents outside.  Some don't have a vent and use condensation to somehow get the water out.  For what it's worth, the Splendide design does not make sense unless you live in Italy.  You might have a small apartment in an old "listed" historic building where cutting holes for vents is not practical, possible or legal.  If you do take it out and remove the cover you will see that the component parts are of high quality and well made.  If you compare it to current Whirlpools, you might even say the Spendide construction is impressive.  

I numbered your questions so make writing an answer a little easier.

1.  I've done it a couple of times.  Of course each coach is different.  First, you have to get behind it to unplug it and disconnect the water hoses and vent hose.  On mine there is a section of the shelf above it that lifts out.  I can stand on a stool and lean in to do this.  Then, holding it at the door opening I can slide it part way out.  At this point, two strong (young) men with good backs can grab it and put it on the floor.  By looping rope or straps under it for a place to hang on, two old men with marginal backs can get it to the floor.  

2.  There is an element that heats up in the dry cycle, not the wash cycle.  We have an Aladdin with amp gauges and I can see it load up.

3.  Yes, it gets hot.  So does the big Samsung in the condo.  BJ (my DW) does not let me use the machine because I will leave stuff in too long and it all shrinks.   She has developed a familiarization with the machine such that she know when to remove things when they are almost dry and not hot yet.  She also says the "Regular" cycle has a higher drying heat.  "Perma press" and "Delicate" have lower drying heat.  She adds that small, light loads also help.  (She is sitting next to me reading the news on her laptop and helping me with this.)

When we are in the motorhome we depend on and like the Splendide.  It runs almost every day with a small load or two.  We never go to the outside laundries.  I do keep an eye on the vent outside.  Twice in eight years the airflow slowed down.  That's why I took it out.  I wanted to see where the clog is.  Now I think I know enough that, with a round vent brush, I might be able to clean it from the outside vent.  But, I can remove it if necessary.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »
Hi Joel and Bill,
  My family have used Splendide washer/dryers in the UK for years, and love them.  They are far superior in construction to most US made (China) machines.  Italian engineering is very good.  I have Italian stuff on my sailboat.  Lofrans windlass,etc. the best.
  Using the Splendide to dry one sheet may have been the issue. Heat would be better absorbed by a full load.  Jane tells me she will always put a full load on, and not individual items.  If she had to dry one item, she would use 'delicate' cycle to cut the heat down.
The vent has to be clean and clear.  I notice the vent from the washer is smaller in diameter, than the hose that goes to the outside fitting.  Keeping this hose clean is critical.  We use a shop vac to do this from outside.
Jane will now experiment with different settings.....delicate and permanent press, other than the regular setting, she normally uses.  Using 'regular' she removes  the clothes when they are still damp, and hangs them up to prevent creases....
 First chance I get, I am going to remove the back panel and clean the heating element.......same as I do once a year on the dryer in our condo.
Our Splendide washer/dryer is 12 years old, and we cannot say enough good things about it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:46:41 PM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:52:46 AM »
We have the ventless Splendide, and use it nearly everyday.  Ours is 12 years old, and I believe the previous owner had it serviced once.  We are considering replacing it with one of the new models, because I believe they have a larger load capacity and a few extra features, like the super-high speed spin for cottons which should reduce the drying time of heavy towels.  Does anyone have any experience with these newer model units?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:48:19 PM by 14 »

Robert W Carlson

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
I think I should specify our floor plan.  We have a side aisle from the bath area to the bedroom.  Our machine is located in the bath area and vents out through the floor.  There are draws in the bedroom in back of the washer.  We can remove the draws to access the vent pipe and remove it for cleaning.  We don't have to pull the washer out.  The heat element is on top of the machine and you must remove the top to access it.  We have model no. WD602-CO (2000S) and is 6 years old.  It is not the larger capacity and can only handle one queen sheet at a time.  The dryer failed in September and a new board was installed.  The new board has over 100 wires going to the various functions, according to the installer.  It controls everything the machine does, even the balance.  It was the board that failed.  It was my second load that day and the first was no problem.  What really scared me ... the day before I put a load in and went to church.  What if the board had failed then!!  I won't sit and watch while a load washes and dries ... I won't replace it.   I only want to urge caution when you use your Splendide.

Carol Carlson

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
I have just had to replace our Splendide washer/dryer due to bearings on the drum breaking down.  I talked to the repairman who did the replacement, under extended warranty, he told me the main thing in the new Model 2100XC with extra load, that I needed to annually remove the washer from the cabinet, take the back off and clean inside the machine the vent outlet.  He said there was a turn where the lint gathered and that it needed to be cleaned.  He also told me my outer vent would probably have far less lint now than previously.

By the way for anyone reading this if you have an older model, I removed from my original Model 2100, the control board and the soap drawer.  The control board is extremely expensive and if you need or might need one, I will be happy to make arrangements to get it to you.  Just let me know.  I also have a motor for this model which is only 3 months old.  

We use our washer on a daily basis and do not do extremely large loads and we dry for about 40 minutes then take everything out and use hangers or a drying line I made to stretch across the bedroom to finish drying.  Works great!

Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13