Author Topic: Bay locks  (Read 5720 times)

Les Marzec

Bay locks
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
We are getting ready to go to Indio for some dry camping.  I locked the bay compartments before I left and now they all unlock with a key except for my utility bay.  I can not get the key to operate that lock and I need to dump and add some water.  Short of calling a lock guy are there any suggestions.

There is no dash switch to operate them electrically.

Thanks

Gil_Johnson

Re: Bay locks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
If you have electric locks the electric lock plunger may be putting too much pressure on the lock cylinder.  Try toggling the electric locks a few times.  This happened to me and I was fearful of breaking the lock cyclinder to get one bay open.  I've since disconnected the electric lock plungers.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
It's hard to imagine you don't have a dash switch for the locks since our Thunder did several years earlier.  Ours is to the right of the dash radio and is labeled door lock.

I have found that squirting some graphite lock lubricant into the keyhole really helps my ability to open the cargo door locks with a key.  Those locks get abused by road spray and get gummed up. Sometimes I can barely get a key in.

Les Marzec

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
No bay lock switch.  All my switches are on right side of dash below the radio.

I dont have graphite, only WD 40.  But I dont like using WD 40 as it attracts dust.  I will have to get some graphite.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Les,

One possiblity is that the door gasket is puttng too much pressure in the hatch and the plungers won't retract.  Perhaps pushing on the hatch while turning the key would help release the plungers....if that is the case.

Dick

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »
The electric switch on my Contessa is above the steps, on the passenger side of the wooden console unit, visible only from low on the steps.

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Try moving the coach a few feet or just airing up or down. Your coach may be tweaked enough to jam the door.

Les Marzec

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
You won't believe how easy this was to fix.  The guy in the coach next to me suggested that I turn the key over.  I tried it both ways and it opened.  On checking all of the bay locks.  The utility doors tumbler was backwards to the others.  

He said that they had the same problem and it took him a little bit to figure out.

Duh!

Thanks for all of the help
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:56:47 PM by 14 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
I wish all RV problems were that easy to resolve!  ;D

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
You can use silicone spray in locks to free them.  Unlike WD-40, silicone spray does not attract dirt.  However, do not use silicone spray on electrical contacts, because it acts like an insulator.  WD-40 is better for that application.

Larry