Author Topic: Front end pulls while driving  (Read 4003 times)

Ron Johnson

Front end pulls while driving
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »
I put new GY tires on the front 2 years ago and the Coach pulled right. After doing an alignment, tire pressures, etc. I had the shop swap the fronts and it then pulled left  .. so it was the tire. A GY shop replaced it free and there has been no pulling since.

Robert Mathis

Re: Front end pulls while driving
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
Gil, my Contessa pulled left so badly that I wore out the front left tire within 5000 miles. I had the coach "aligned" when I purchased it, but after wearing out the tire, I took it to Josam and found the tag axle was terribly out of align, with both wheels pointing right, and the drive axle splayed out on both sides. The tag was actually steering the rig. Josam aligned all three axles, and now I can literally take my hands off the wheel and it will drive down the road straight. The technician told me that almost every motorhome they work on has problems with the rear axles. His explaination was that the motorhome manufactures buy the axles from suppliers, then weld their own suspension systems to the axles. They apparently don't take the extra step of cooling the axles down slowly and so they deform. Josam locks everything down firmly, heats the axle housings, gets everything lined up, then slowly cools them while holding them straight. It was impressive to watch.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Robert, great information.  My coach drives as you describe.  It looks like I'll be off to Josam's.  What you describe seems very time consuming.  How long did they take with your coach and what was the ball park cost?

Thanks Robert,

Wayne Baumann

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »
Gil    I just had my coach lined up at the same places about a month ago, and had the left main axle heated and bent back into alignment, and the front end aligned, and had to put two new tires on front.  It cost me $2800.00 for two tires and alignment front and rear.  They told me that they have told Monaco about this problem and what they should do so that does not happen,  and they said they still are doing the same mistake now yet.   As you can gesses, I am not very happy with Monaco.  I wish Beaver was back to building like they used do.  I had 22000 miles on the RV, and the tow rear tires were worn total unsafe to drive, on the two rear.  That was why I had to put on two new tires.
Wayne
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:30:28 AM by 14 »

Wayne Baumann

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »
Note it took them about three hours on my rig. I had apointment set with them they know what they are doing. Wayne