Author Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems  (Read 16166 times)

Dennis Crawford

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
Folks,

I want to buy a TPMS for my 2005 Monterey.  I visited the Tampa RV show yesterday, but could not decide.  I know the pressure pro gets acclaims, but I saw a couple of others that appear to be better.  But with no experience, it is difficult for me to decide.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dick Simonis

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
I just installed the Tire Safe Guard system but don't yet have any miles on it.  What I can say is that it seems to pick up the toad sensor at a repectible distance without a repeater.

The biggest problem I had was connenting the outer dual tire because of the silly inward facing valve stem.  Had to use a flexible extender that wrapped behind the wheel with a bracket attached to the hub by the hub cap.  I used the flow though sensor which seem to work great.  Aside from that it was an easy install and the monitor picked up the sensor right away.

When i get new tires latter this month, I'll have the valve stems replaced with something that will allow a neater sensor install.

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
Last fall I installed the 507 model from Truck System Technologies,:

www.tsttruck.com

It has no problem reading the pressures from the toad without a repeater. It has replaceable batteries in the sensors.  I do have a problem with one tire - it is not the sensor as I have tried different sensors and still doesn't read. TST suggests:

" the shrader valve (within the valve stem) is probably recessed within the valve stem, not allowing adequate contact with the sensor."

I haven't got around to changing this.

Overall seems to work well. Monitor battery lasts a long time so it doesn't need to be plugged in while being used. Readings are pretty accurate; knew as I had one sensor that must not have been screwed on completely and caused a slow leak in the tire. When I checked the tire with a gauge it was essentially the same as what the TST indicated. Took off the sensor, re-installed it and has since been OK.

It is interesting to see how much the tire pressures/temps change from cold to operating. You have to consider this when setting parameters. My limited experience with TST is they are quite helpful - received responses promptly.

Jeff

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
Last fall I installed the 507 model from Truck System Technologies,:

www.tsttruck.com

Overall seems to work well

X2; another vote for TST.  We've had our system for 6 months and have been very pleased with it.  No need for a repeater with our 40' MH and a toad.

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
x3   we have had the tst for two years and would not leave home without it ....great customer service :)

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
I have the  Tire Safe Guard system and really like it as it constantly displays the readings for both MH and Toad as well as the temperature in all wheels/tires.  I have fixed extenders on the valves with the flow thru sensors on all so I don't have to remove them to check pressure with a guage.    I also have put in nitrogen in all tires.  I had a Pressure Pro and didn't like it as you could not monitor the pressure without having to press buttons.  That is not convenient nor safe while driving.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
One reason I chose TST over Tire Safe (I believe that was the one I was comparing it against) was that Tire Safe "goes to sleep" if the vehicle is parked for an extended period.  This is intended as a battery saver, but it does mean that when you start in the morning you don't know the pressure of the tires before you start out.  The TST systems display continuously so you can read a truly "cold pressure."

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
If you do not like the outside dual stems pointing inward, just loosen the retaining nut , turn the stem 90 degrees and re-tighten the nut.

Larry

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
If you do not like the outside dual stems pointing inward, just loosen the retaining nut , turn the stem 90 degrees and re-tighten the nut.

Larry

I looked at that but the hole in the wheel is to small and the stem won't rotate more than a few degrees.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
One reason I chose TST over Tire Safe (I believe that was the one I was comparing it against) was that Tire Safe "goes to sleep" if the vehicle is parked for an extended period.  This is intended as a battery saver, but it does mean that when you start in the morning you don't know the pressure of the tires before you start out.  The TST systems display continuously so you can read a truly "cold pressure."

Doesn't sound like the tire safeguard I have.  It doesn't got to sleep just slows one the reading interval unless an alarm condition occurs which it than transmittes immediatly.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I looked at that but the hole in the wheel is to small and the stem won't rotate more than a few degrees.

I used a "U-shaped" extension which is small enough to fit in the hole in the wheel with the valve stem.  

Actually, I plan on installing Crossfire systems on both duals.  One of the Crossfire's hoses is designed to deal with the backwards facing stem; once it is connected I won't have to deal with the valve stems again.

Jim and Carol Contratto

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
I have the  Tire Safe Guard System.   No problems,  Works very good on our 43 ft and picks up our toad with no problems

Jim Contratto

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
I bought the Pressure Pro several years ago.  At the time, there were fewer choices.   I had trouble getting it set up at first.  After that, it has worked well for five or six years.  I think the batteries are likely to die soon.  Then I will need to decide if I want to buy all new sensors or an all new system.   Apparently, Pressure Pro will sell new sensors as replacements for $35.  So, it will be $350 vs $500 for something like the TST.  

One reason to change is that the Pressure Pro I have does not look very nice on a Beaver dash.  Maybe the new ones look nicer.

At about the two year mark, I had an unusual failure.  While parked, one of the sensors got hot enough for the plastic to get soft.  With a 100 pounds of air pressure behind it a pinhole formed and slowly let all the air out.  I think the battery shorted.  Pressure Pro said they had never seen anything like it and that I had it too close to a source of heat.  They sent me a free replacement.  

One thing to consider with these systems is that their sensors become the only thing that keeps the air in the tire.  Normally, there is BOTH a valve in the stem and a cap that screws on as a backup.  These systems depress the valve stem and effectively disable it.  The sensor replaces the cap.  So if the sensor is damaged, the air can leak out.  The caps on my tires were metal.   The PP sensors are plastic and a much larger target for road debris.

JimDyer

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
I noticed Bill mentioned a price of about $500. At the Tampa show everybody seemed to be in the $200-300 range.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Yes, but in most cases that only included 4 sensors or maybe even 6.  However to monitor you towed vehicle you need a total of ten and a system that will monitor 10.

I ended up buying a Pressure Pro.  It is still made in the US.

Dennis