Author Topic: increased Tire Size  (Read 5429 times)

Gil_Johnson

increased Tire Size
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
Has anyone with a larger coach installed 315s on the front axle in place of the original 295s?  There's a significant difference in maximum weight rating.  I'm not looking at increasing the axle rating but rather increasing the safety margin.  Apparently, many Monaco owners have done so.  They are an inch taller, but that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Bernie Vujicic

Re: increased Tire Size
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
Hi Gil,

We went to 315's last year. You can put 315's on your 8.25 rims now but it won't increase your weight rating that much because of your rim size. To do it right you need to go to 9.00 rims and you can run 130lbs of pressure and your tire rating is 9000lbs each. We feel alot better with the cushion and piece of mind that comes with it. You might have a little clearance issue with your Contessa. Be sure to check that, it was very close on our Patriot.

Thx
bv

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:49:46 AM »
Gil,
Some of the 2009 Marquis coaches came from the factory with 315s as standard equipment.

Gerald

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:51:01 AM »
Check your speedo against a GPS.  You may be undersized on the rear as well.

Phil Sales

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
The 2000 Marquis I bought 2 yrs ago had 315's on the front axle, on 8.25 rims. There is no clearance problem. It has 1200Rx22.5's on the drive. I suspect the previous owner wanted,as you do, a little more security, since the interior tag states it was built with 295's all around.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
One note is if you go to larger tires in the rear you need to get the "pulse rate" reset on the engine computer. Ring power did our Cat free of charge and it took about 5 minites or less as most of the time was done looking it up and hooking up the laptop. This will keep your speedo and engine record accurate.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »
Weird, I just came from Tire Center in Tampa and they went out and pulled a 295 and 315 and said both side walls had a weight rating of 9090 lbs for single axle.  I can't find anything on Michelin's web sites, US or Europe that state this rating for 295.  Either it's a really new tire or both were 315s.  I'll find our next week when I change the front two tire.

The coach has always pulled to the right.  Many have said this is a fact of life with Goodyear G670s.  I'll soon know.  I suspect I'll need to find an alignment shop.  Any recommendations near Tampa?

Tim Westman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
Gil,

I would recommend Josam's in Orlando (southwest side).  Good shop.

Tim