Author Topic: Towing a vehicle - I've got questions!  (Read 7833 times)

Jill Stevens

Towing a vehicle - I've got questions!
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
We are gathering information on tow bars, base plates, brakes and what will be involved to tow our 2006 GMC Sierra - but are not sure the Cat 330 in our MH can handle it?  We were told our truck weight is 6400 lbs.  With a Blue Ox system, do we just have to worry about the "tongue" weight?  How do you figure that? The vehicle is resting on its wheels... husband is concerned that he do nothing to harm the engine of the RV.  Any advice?  I have been googling and reading everything I can... I checked the label in the coach with the GVWR and all the other weight references - which just confused me more.  In one instance it looks like I better take out some groceries and lose weight myself or risk exceeding the CCC (ok, that is an exageration). On the other hand it looks like there is a 5,000 lb. difference between the rig fully loaded with passengers, water etc. and the do not exceed weight (mfg recommended).

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers on where to get the best and correct information so that we can make an educated choice.

The Stevens  ::)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Towing a vehicle - I've got questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49:33 AM »
I had a 1998 Patriot Tico 37' with a CAT 330 HP.  I felt it was under powered.  Then I added a 1800 lb VW Bug toad.  It was even more under powered.  The tow hitch is rated at 5000 lb.  If you intend to pull 6400 lbs, you may consider beefing up the tow hitch, and get ready for some slow hills.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
If your toad was actually a trailer that put real weight on the motorhome's hitch, the rule of thumb would be 10% of the trailer's total weight on the hitch (tongue weight).  Trailers over a ton can have up to 15% on the tongue and Fifth wheels about 25%.  Then you'd evaluate the situation with the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the coach in mind - maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded coach including cargo and trailer tongue weight.  But your truck is not a trailer;  its load is entirely on its own axles, none of it on the coach when hitched, and the towbar pivot transfers no weight between vehicles anyway.  So don't worry about tongue weight re. your pickup.  

What you do need to be concerned with is the load on the coach's engine, transmission, receiver hitch mounts, and brakes.  Then you musn't exceed the GCWR, gross combined weight rating - maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded coach including cargo, passengers, and the full weight of whatever you are towing.  GVWR, GCWR, Carrying Capacity, and Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR - allowed load on each axle) should be posted inside the coach, usually low on the streetside wall behind the driver's seat and often on a sheet in a closet or cabinet.

Larry indicates his tow hitch is rated at 5000 lbs, but most big coaches I've seen have 10,000 lb hitches like mine.  You need to check the tag on yours to find out which it is, because rule #1 is don't pull something that might crack a hitch mount, bolt, or weld, jeopardizing yourself and everyone else on the road with you.  On our old gas class A with a 3000 Lb hitch, I could safely tow our old 2600 lb Toyota 4X4, but not our 4500 lb F150 or 3500 lb Explorer.  When I checked into beefing up the hitch, no one would do it because the 5000 lb version required bracing that couldn't be applied on that particular coach's chassis framework.  No installer wanted to be responsible or ever held liable for such a modification.  If you have only a 5000 lb rated receiver on your Patriot, there may be a good reason why Beaver didn't put on a heavier one.  Either the framing wasn't there, or the drivetrain and brakes weren't up to the task.

Keeping the cargo load low on the coach just to try and stay under the GCWR when adding your toad, and thinking all is well, is a mistake.  The strain on the hitch, brakes, tranny, and engine will still be there.  Even if your hitch turns out to be a 10,000 lb unit, 6400 lbs is quite a lot of tow for a 330 HP, and a lot to try and bring to a stop.  Adding auxilliary braking will help that, but the strain on the engine, esp. on hills like Larry mentions, will probably be a big issue.

Can the engine handle it?  Yeah.  Will you be happy with how it handles it?  Likely not.

Ford Motor Company usually publishes an annual RV and Trailer Towing Guide which you'd find educational - see if a local dealer has one for you or have Ford send you a copy.  General Motors may publish one as well.

;)Joel
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:57:26 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
Jill and Bill:

I know nothing about the max your hitch can handle.

I have the same Cat 330, and I tow a dolly with my car on it.  The first trip (1500 miles) I towed a Volvo XC90 on the dolly, so my total towed weight was about the same as yours.  The Cat hardly noticed the tow.  The dolly has its own brakes, and I had a couple of hard braking situations, with no complaint from behind.

So get your hitch sorted out, make sure you have adequate braking, and you will be good to go.