Author Topic: 50 amp surge protector  (Read 61781 times)

barbhalsell

50 amp surge protector
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
What is going to be the best bang for my buck when I buy a 50 amp surge protector for the coach. I know we can hard wire or go with a portable unit.  I know we can spend anywhere from $100 to $500. But do I need to spend $500 to be protected? I would appreciate your views and experience with these.
Barb

Bill Sprague

Re: 50 amp surge protector
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
Barb,

Where did you find a surge protector for $100?  I want one.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
The units for ~$500 are a lot more than simple surge suppressors.  They monitor line voltage and watch for serious conditions like open neutrals.  They have the ability to cut off the current flow when dangerous situations are detected.

As for hard wire vs portable, we had a portable when we had our Class C.  It was just another thing to remember to hookup each time and I wasn't trusting enough to use it without securing a cable to it to prevent theft.  We have a hardwired one now and it is far simpler.

barbhalsell

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:39 AM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-SSP50-Smart-Surge/dp/B002UC2UB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327782119&sr=8-1

This is a simple 50 amp surge protector.

This is nothing more than a surge suppressor.  IMHO, this is not a good investment since it doesn't protect you against some of the most common CG electrical problems.

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:30:24 AM »
I know I need more protection than what that would provide which is why I am asking what kinds other people have bought. And are they happy with the purchase?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:39:25 AM »
We have this one: http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard/hardwires-portables/50a-hardwire.  I don't know how to judge whether it works or not, since if it works you probably won't know it.  All I can say is that it hasn't failed us, yet.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »
The portable Progressive WILL protect from campground improper wiring, it lets you know when you plug it in with LED warning lights. It is also a surge protector. It will NOT shut down for under voltage. I never leave anything running (electricly) when I'm going to be away from the MH so I don't worry about undervoltage. I've had my portable one now for 3 years and it has saved me twice from miss-wired power posts. Marty

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
I installed the Progressive EMS hard wired system about 2 years ago and it has saved me from low  campground voltage at least one time that I know of.  The campground voltage dropped below the 104V setpoint and the unit shut the power off. We were in the RV at the time and I went to check why the power went off and found that one leg of the power at the pedestal had dropped to 90 Volts! It is hard to say what would have happened if the EMS was not there to protect us but we are glad it did its job.  

We travel in the NE often and we often find campgrounds where the voltage at the pedestal is marginal with not much occupancy at the CG early in the day when we usually stop for the day.  As the CG fills up the voltage will only drop as more rigs plug into the power pedestals.  

We are very happy with the Progressive EMS system and now are not afraid to leave the RV with stuff like the AC's running, knowing the EMS will do its job and shut down with low or high voltage and then turn the system back on if/when the power returns to the proper voltage.

Check out their web site WWW.progressiveindustries.net

Tim Westman

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
I agree with Paul.  I use the progressive EMS unit (EMS-HW50C).  It runs about $425 and comes with a remote that allows you to monitor individual line voltage, amp draw by leg and error codes remotely.  The same unit without the remote, if memory serves me correct is about $375.  This is a hardwired system.  They also sell a "portable" EMS.  I started out with a portable TRC unit that I purchased at Camping World that failed in less then two years .  The TRC cost about $250 and didn't provide as mutch protection as the Progressive Industries EMS.  The later is not only provides surge protection but also reverse polarity, open neutral, open ground, frequency issues, high/low voltage and 240 volt protection.  You can also determine cause of problems by reviewing the error codes available on the unit itself or the remote if equipped.  I am very happy with this unit and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Tim Westman

barbhalsell

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
Thank you for your input on this question. This is why this forum is so valuable. When I am surfing on other forum sites and see a question on anything Beaver, I steer the poster to BAC. Beaver questions answered by Beaver owners. I know of at least one that has joined because of this.
Barb

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »
One air conditioner went out on our old Pace Arrow a couple decades ago.  The symptoms indicated it probably burned out from low campground voltage someplace we'd been.  As the guys indicate above, pedestal voltage can vary more than people think. Owners new to the game and unfamiliar with the following basic concept are most vulnerable:  in midsummer when the heat is on and the campgrounds are full, the voltage available to any one campsite is most likely going to be less than optimum.  The more people that turn on their air conditioners, the worse the situation gets.  You can park your lawn chair next to the pedestal and check the voltage every 10 minutes, or run out and check it everytime someone new rolls into the park and hooks up.  Or you can have protection already in place monitoring things 24/7.

When an electric motor first starts up it requires far more current to get up to speed than it does after it's fully running;  much like a car requiring more fuel to get its weight rolling off the stopline than after it's up to road speed.  The air conditioner compressor motor especially fits that bill.  If it only has 90 volts to work with rather than the 110-120 volts it's designed for, the motor has to work much harder to "get off the line" and up to speed.  At 90 volts it may never get up to speed, but rather overheat trying to.  This is the number 1 cause of AC failures.  And its likely to happen to you if you don't have protection in place.  Even then, nothing's perfect - stuff can happen.

Since we've owned our Monterey, we've had several instances where our power went out.  It ultimately turns out it was our built-in power protection shutting everything down.  At least once in Dillon, MT, it was in a relatively nice, new RV park... and our air conditioners weren't on.  It was just a bad campground circuit, going out at midnight, and requiring the c.g. owner to get out of bed and reset.  Even parked by the side of our house one day, in storage with nothing particular on electrically, I kept hearing a clicking on the roof.  Turned out it was the automatic satellite dish going on and off;  and we've never even used it.  I couldn't get it to stop, so I knew something was haywire electrically.  Feeling the 15 amp minimal cord going to the coach from the house, it was warm.  For 27 years I've used 15 amp cords to my RVs in storage, and it's been fine as long as you understand their extremely minimal function.  I could hear the power unit in the cord reel bay snapping on and off too.  Immediately unplugging, I checked the cords and found the small cord and 15/30amp adapter had burn marks.  Apparently the adapter was bad.  The power protection was trying to do its job in response, and it worked, but there still was risk of fire at the adapter laying on the gravel next to the coach.  I bought a 30 amp extension cord ($$) to resolve the issue and all is well.  

The point is that you never know, so it's best to be protected not just from surges, but from the more likely bad circuit or low voltage situation.  Unless you'd rather pay the $500+ for a new air conditioner instead of new built-in whole-coach power protection.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

barbhalsell

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »
Darn good point Joel!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Joel,

My replacement HVAC unit was $1,300!  I've been trying to detrrmine the most effective power management system.  Just another must do task.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard We hard wired one of the 50 Amp Surge Guard Units about 8 years ago and it has saved us from low power and improperly wired sites many times. Includes state parks , and some well maintained parks like  Ft Wilderness (loose neutral) and some overloaded places like the ORA on I75 just South of the FL/GA line with 10 "50" amp sites on a 70 amp sub panal.