Author Topic: 50 amp surge protector  (Read 61763 times)

Jeff Watt

Re: 50 amp surge protector
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
Good discussion - I never really thought about this all that much. Now I am. I hate to spend $ on a portable right now before leaving on a trip, but don't have time to get a hard wired one installed - maybe look into getting it installed while away.  

Where do you install the hard wire units? I'm certainly not going to do the install, but curious where it goes - after the power cord reel but before the other electrical "stuff"?

Jeff

Joel Weiss

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
Where do you install the hard wire units? I'm certainly not going to do the install, but curious where it goes - after the power cord reel but before the other electrical "stuff"?

Our hardwired unit is in the basement near the transfer switch.  The cable coming from the power reel goes to the suppressor and then to the transfer switch.  We had to move the switch a bit to make room for all of it.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
It has to be after the cord reel but can be anywhere else.

I saw a picture of one after a big power surge and it was melted and blackened. So I would reccomend in be a hopefully hard to ignite something area.

My son got a portable on to plug into power pedestal. He unplugs it first and puts it up before rolling up his power cord so he does not forget it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:43:42 PM by 72 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
I saw a picture of pne after a big power surge and it was melted and blackened. So I would reccomend in a hopefully harad to ignite something area.

I'm not denying that could happen but it had to have been an extreme case like a lightning strike.  Normally you don't even know that a surge suppressor has done anything at all.  Obviously, if it does something like cut the power off because the voltage is low, you'll know if you are around, but if it operates as a surge suppressor you'll never even know that it has prevented a voltage spike from entering your circuitry.

Personally, I think the picture you are referring to is manufacturer's "hype"--"you better get one of these before this happens to you" sort of stuff.  I wouldn't let the picture dictate where I put the device.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
I just looked at my Contessa and will be mounting it next to the transfer switch in one of the storage bays.

I intent on installing it on the output of the transfer switch so it's providing protection for both commercial and generator power.  Does anyone see a reason not to install it after the transfer switch?

It looks like PPL hss the best price.  As anyone found a less expensive source?

barbhalsell

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
Amazon $272.88 Surge Guard 34560 hardwired.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
I hard wired a 50 amp Surge Guard in my 1998 Patriot.  I moved it into this coach in 2003.  I think it works, because there have been no electrical problems in the coach.  The initial coast is worth the peace of mind and expense of repairing circuit boards.  The hard wired model is safe and dry compared to the portable.

Larry

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »
Barb and Jack,

Thanks.  On order and as an Amazon Prime member, shipping is free.

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Gil and Jeff, are you positive you don't already have one on your coach?  Many came from the factory already to go, like our Monterey.

Gil, you are correct.  I haven't priced a new AC for awhile.  They're a lot more than $500+ nowdays.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »
Joel,

I've crawled through most nooks and crannies and have looked at the wiring diagrams and can't find one in my '08 Contessa.  It may be hidden somewhere, but I don't think so.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:50:32 AM by 14 »

Jeff Watt

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »
Joel,

I believe you are correct. I was pretty sure there was a "surge" protector in the MH, but wasn't sure if it monitored voltage,etc. So after banging my head a couple of times today, I found the unit and iit is in back of the bay compartment - a Surge Guard by TRC.

Reading the literature more closely, it does protect against high (>132v) and low (<102V); in either case it disconnects the service. Also monitors faulty wiring, reverse polarity and open neutral.

Lesson to me: READ THE MANUAL MORE THOROUGHLY - DON"T JUST SKIM THROUGH IT!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:22:03 AM »
I have been using a TRC Surge Guard that is hardwired into my coach for over 10 years. It has paid for it's self many times, because it has saved me from faulty campground wiring several times.

I am now on my second coach with the same Surge Guard because the last time that I traded coaches, I transferred the Surge Guard to the new coach. I would not be without a surge protector that also monitors voltage and wiring issues, because if you have not had one of the problems yet, you will if you travel enough.

Gerald  

Wayne Tull

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
OK, you folks have convinced me. I'm going with the EMS-HW50C by progressive because of the remote read out feature.

Wayne Baumann

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
Gil I installed a surge protector in my 08 contesst and I could not find one installed from the factory.  About a week ago the unit shut down the power to the coach and had the park check it and found #2 line open sure glad i had a surge protector.  Wayne

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
I just installed the TRC device on the output of the transfer switch.  It was easy!  Just an hour labor and less than $20 in wire and parts.