Author Topic: Solar panel charging system.  (Read 6036 times)

Phillip T Lago

Solar panel charging system.
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
I have a 2001 Bev Marquis, 40'.  When I store the unit, I turn off the coach power.  Does this also shut off the Solar Panel charging unit?  This is my first Beaver, and I'm afraid it is more complicated than I am. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:29:19 PM by 14 »

Dick Simonis

Re: Solar panel charging system.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
Doubt it.  My solar panel works just fine with the coach switch off.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Solar panel charging system.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:41:38 AM »
Mine too.  Most of the time now, I'm not even plugged in (stored outside).  Even winter sun is enough to keep the batteries up, with the chassis and house mains both off.  Only if I opt to run my electric dehumidifier do I plug the coach in during storage anymore.  But I still try to check the battery charge level weekly while in storage.  The only issue is that even BCS techs can't find the fuse for our solar system (it's not on or near the controller board like expected), since it should be pulled before disconnecting and reconnecting battery cables, during cleaning, service, or replacement, to prevent sparking.  So I have to move cables after dark (a pain), throw a tarp over the panel, or just be prepared for sparks - not good around vented house batteries.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat