Author Topic: Towing  (Read 18448 times)

Robert Mathis

Re: Towing
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
I just wired my new toad with the blue ox system that uses a seperate dedicated bulb placed in each tail-light assembly and bypasses the car's electrical system entirely. Very simple operation. As to the OP's question, I'm another one who will absolutely not tow any car without a auxilary braking system. Most states require them and good sense dictates their use.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
[quote author=].....Your Ford Edge may be similar to my new Explorer I'm configuring now.  The Explorer has separate brake and turn signal bulbs/LEDs.  So far I’ve been challenged to find a 2 wire to 3 wire converter.  All I’ve found is 3 wire to 2 wire.  If you have yellow turn signal lights on your Edge, how are you wiring them?[/quote]  It was done by a Blue Ox installer in Virginia Beach in '08.  I think he used Blue Ox parts.  I had to re-do it at about a year because he used those silly blue 3M wire taps.  There is a small "black box" tucked in near the tail lights.  I don't have a brand or part number, but can take it apart and look if you want.  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »
We have the Brakemaster also and my son uses the SMI. Some of the later Beavers were prewired for a certain brand but I cannot remember which one.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
Bill, it sounds like you have the Blue Ox Diode Block.  I'm guessing you don't have yellow turn signal bulbs.

Thanks,

Bill Sprague

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
Quote from: ]Bill, it sounds like you have the Blue Ox Diode Block.  I'm guessing you don't have yellow turn signal bulbs.

Thanks,[/quote
Yellow in front and red in back.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »
Sounds like they changed your yellow bulbs for red ones in the back, which I was considering.  I don't know why I couldn't find a 3 to 2 converter last night, but others pointed me in the right direction today.  So, I can keep my yellow bulbs.

Thanks,