Author Topic: Xantrex sw2512 problems  (Read 9699 times)

steve zannella

Xantrex sw2512 problems
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Can someone point me in the right direction, I'm having trouble with my xantrex trace sw2512. On more occasions than not the display is blank. Sometimes the display  is lit but when I move the cursor the display goes blank. This problem can happen when I'm connected to shore power, generator running or during dry camping. I called xantrex and they said to check the DC side of trace unit for 12 volts. I did and there was 6 volts or less on the pos DC connector. I then went and checked the house batteries and the had 12.7 volts, after switching the house and chassis battery disconnect switches off and on several times the voltage on the xantrex read 12.7 volts and everything worked fine.

This problem has been very intermittent and frustrating any help is appreciated.

My coach is a 2004 marquis with new house and chassis batteries.

Gerald Farris

Re: Xantrex sw2512 problems
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
Steve,
Your description of the problem sounds like you have a dirty or defective house battery disconnect switch. You should be able to tell for sure with a good ohm meter.

Gerald

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
Gerald, I hope it is the switch that would be real simple but I won't be able to test it for a few days. Also, other strange things happen when the trace goes dead, When I connect to shore power I don't hear the relay engage, when everything is working properly I always hear the relay,  what if any relationship exists between the trace and the transfer switch? does the the shore power / generator go from the transfer switch to the trace or is it the other way?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »
Steve,
The power from the generator and shore power both go to the transfer switch first. The transfer switch will connect the hot side to the coach wiring to the breaker box. It then goes from the breaker box to the inverter

If there is current from the generator and the shore power cord both, the transfer switch will connect the generator and not the shore power circuit because it is designed as a generator priority switch.

Gerald

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »
Gerald,
I tested the coach battery disconnect switch and its' connecting 12.7 volts across the switch. At the DC positive cable on the trace shows 5.7 volts I don't know where i'm losing voltage. I was monitoring my electrical status on the alladin and it was showing 25 volts and 0 amps on the solar panel does that sound normal?
Also where might I find a coach wiring diagram?  I do have a chassis wiring manual but nothing regarding 120 volt or inverters.

Thanks
Steve

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:13 AM »
Steve:

Check your fuses.  I had 5.7 volts across the coach power switch and gremlins.  Eventually found a blown 250 amp fuse. Problems solved.  Mine was on the engine access under the bed, near the switching solenoid for the coach power, and not easy to see until removed from its holder.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Steve,
If the coach disconnect switch is OK, you have high resistance or a partial open at either the house battery main fuse (most likely) or one of the connections in the house battery cable. Check the voltage across the main house battery fuse (mine is in the battery bay, however I am not certain where yours is located). I the fuse is OK, you will need to check the battery cable. I would start with the connection at the inverter. If it is good, you will have to trace the cable and look for a poor connection (usually overheated or burnt looking from the high resistance caused by the poor connection).

Gerald

steve zannella

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
Gerald and KOliver

The problem is looking more like a fuse. I found a wiring diagram for a 2005 monaco executive and they have a similar trace inverter battery configuration as the Marquis. The schematic shows a Class T 300 Amp Slow Blow Fuse connected to the #4 cable leading to the 12 volt positive side on the trace.

I'm planning on replacing that fuse as it is relatively inexpensive but what I would like to know is what are the symptoms of a bad slow blow fuse. My expectations would be total loss of current. But could low current leakage come from a blown fuse?

Steve

Keith Oliver

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Steve;

My symptoms didn't look like a fuse, as some current (5.7 amps sounds about right) was passing.  The "Coach power" switch would work intermittently.  In desperation I installed a second switch on the circuit right at the solenoid, so I could turn the coach power off or on, then I found the burned fuse.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
Steve,
The fuse should be very easy to check with a DVOM (digital volt/ohm meter). If the fuse is the source of your problem, there will be a very significant voltage drop across the fuse if there is an load on the system.

The fuse will not be as cheap as you might think. You can expect to pay $30 to $70 dollars for a 300 amp slow blow fuse, depending on where you buy it and whether or not the holder is included. So I would test the fuse before I tried to through a part at the problem.

Gerald  

steve zannella

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
I finally got a call into Monaco tech support and they think the slow blow fuse would be suspect also the tech told me that they do not have any beaver electrical documentation from 2006 or older because their documentation server crashed back in 2006 and they have not recovered any data. So if anyone has coach and chassis electrical documentation from that era we need to secure and share it with Monaco. I have chassis wiring documentation if anybody needs it.

Steve

steve zannella

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Gerald , Keith

Problem solved as I attempted to change the 300 amp fuse, I discovered the power cable going to the inverter was way loose. This was causing the intermittent power supply to the inverter lesson learned check all electrical connections.  Put several turns on the compression screw and all is well. I now own a spare 30 amp fuse, thanks for all your help.

Steve