Author Topic: Water Pump Wiring Diagram??  (Read 4525 times)

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
Water Pump Wiring Diagram??
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
We have apparently had a short somewhere in our water pump circuitry on our 99 Marquis that causes the 12 volt circuit breaker to operate for a minute or so and then to trip. The symptom is that with the breaker on, the pump lights remain lite and the dining room and bathroom switches will not inactivate the light.  I have taken the water compartment switch out all together ... and no, the leads are not shorting out on each other.  I have checked everywhere I can find to determine where the short was (or is) but with no success.  I have removed the pump hot lead to see if that had failed ... no luck, same symptoms.  I replaced the relay with the same results, no luck, same symptoms.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the pump system or ideas of what I might check?

Thanks
Glenn

Edward Buker

Re: Water Pump Wiring Diagram??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »
Glenn,

Try switching out one of the other breakers of the same value. if you have an ammeter/multimeter capiable of 15 to 20 amps put in series and see what is being drawn. It may be a weak breaker.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »
Glenn,

I was reading your post quickly as I was being called to dinner and I did not have the time to think the problem through before I responded and then had to run.

When you said that you disconnected the pump and changed out the relay and still had the issue that would seem to rule out a weak breaker as a cause. It would be good to have a dc ammeter to insert here and there or a clamp on version to see if you can sort out where the current is going. If I remember right (I do not have a DC schematic either) the relay system steps on and off with a pulse from one of three swiches that are in parallel with each other allowing you to turn the power source on or off from any of the swich locations. At least that is the way it works in my Marquis.

You could disconnect the output wire from the breaker at the panel, and run a long length of external wire to the bay and feed the pump with that and see if it works without tripping. Assume that is good, then add the relay circuit with the external switches disconnected and trigger it with a length of wire and see if that is all good. If that works then if the switch feeds are individually wired to the relay you could add those one at a time. If they are tied together elsewhere, pulling a wire off each of the external swiches, one at a time may isolate which switch wire run may have caused the short if that is the source. If you can get it to work with one of the switches disconnected you may need to live like that and use the others.

If it turns out everything works normally with the diagnostic DC wire feed from the breaker to the pump relay, you may find it easier to add an inline breaker and run a seperate DC feed from the battery bank. Hope ths helps.

Later Ed

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Ed,

Very good suggestions Ed ... thanks.  Will try this and let you know.

Best
Glenn