Author Topic: Load Based Shift Scheduled  (Read 4868 times)

Sean Donohue

Load Based Shift Scheduled
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Just read an article in the Family Motor Coaching (March 2012) by Brett Wolfe about the Allison Transmissions. The core of the article has to do with using the Econ mode 99% of the time even in hills (a discussion for another thread) but the closing discussion about the Load Based Shift Scheduled really caught my attention.

Anyone know about this? It became available in 2010 and is a calibration feature so older 1000 thru 4000 units can be upgraded. Is this a worthwild upgrade, cost? Driving changes, MPG Changes... Any info?

Joel Weiss

Re: Load Based Shift Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
I read the article online but there is no mention of this.  Can you elaborate.  I assume the online and print versions were the same; I guess they aren't.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »
The Printed Article discusses the LBSS saying the system estimates the load and grade to automaticaly shift between Performance schedule and Econ Schedule to achieve max MPG. It is a calabration feature for the 1000-4000 series and maybe avaiable for the older A51-A53 models. This has been used on newer RVs and Trucks(since Jan 2010) around when the EPA 10 engines werre introduced. I checked Allison's website but not much info there. I also posted this on RV.net and Mr Wolfe responded that he did not write that part, Allison wrote it while approving his article. To me it sounds like a calibration I might like to have done it the price is right, we drive about 10-15K a year in the RV....

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25859687.cfm

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
I'm taking ours in to have the default shift for the Jake reprogrammed and I will ask then about this feature and whether or not my old(er) Allision can be so programmed.  Should be later in the month and I'll let you know the results.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
I just read the article last night, Joel.  Indeed the LBSS (Load Based Scheduled Shift) reference is in a separate article box, so it was an addendum that FMCoaching editors and Allison added to the print version;  you should check your paper copy.

If the LBSS is an available upgrade, I personally wouldn't pay a whole lot for it, because I drive like Brett suggests, and find little inconvenience to the relatively rare need to shift out of Economy Mode.  I like to think I'm a pro-active driver, and afterall how much effort does it take to move a finger over to the Mode button?

I guess if one doesn't want to fret about when precisely to make that move, such a feature as LBSS may be worth some cash outlay.   I just enjoy the challenge of understanding the system I'm in control of, and applying my own decisions accordingly.  But others may not view such decisions or challenges as fun;  or if contrary to Brett's recommendation, one has been in the habit of constantly shifting between modes, paying for an LBSS software update may seem quite palatable.

A call or email to Allison customer service or local service center might prove enlightening.

Joel A.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Sean Donohue

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:04:50 AM »
Joel, great thoughts, agree if the parameters match those of the current two schedules. I am hoping to hear from others before I approach a rep.

Dick, thanks, will be very interested in what you learn...