Author Topic: Allison 3000  (Read 5806 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Allison 3000
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
I think its time to drain/replace the Transynd in my Allison 3000. I had a test done on my current transynd (69,000 miles) and a few things were abnormal. However, it took 3 weeks for the test as the facilities machine was out of order. I have very low confidence in this test and will have another done in Tampa FL next week.

My question is. How hard can this be? I called Allison and they wanted $525. Filter kit $50, 4.5 gallons at around $35 ($157.50) and two hours labor at $99. Huh? That comes to $407.50. He could not explain what the other $120 or so was for. I said all I wanted was a drain/fill. He then said around $475 but it will still be two hours (I know the filter takes an hour). Didnt make sense to me.

Is this fairly simple? Unscrew bolt, drain, re-insert bolt and then re-fill? Also, anyone have a recommendation for a repair facility in the Tampa FL area they like? Also, how about a vendor for the Transynd at a decent price?

Thanks in advance for any help, Ken
BAC members since 2006

Joel Weiss

Re: Allison 3000
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »
You didn't say what parameters were not normal on your lab test, but it is my understanding the key measure of interest is the Total Acid Number (TAN).  Normal is around 1.0 for Transynd or its equivalents.  You are good until +3 above new fluid.  Allison recommends changing the filters on a ~3-4 year schedule and a lot of RVers are using that as a good time to change the fluid, but the test will show the fluid condition regardless of age.  Remember, that in "normal" commercial use Transynd should last 300,000 miles.

BTW, I got lab turn-around time of less than 24 hours at http://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html. The test cost ~$25 and the results were emailed and posted online.  I took the sample myself with a small pump they provided.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:25:35 AM »
Ken,

$35 a gallon is a good price, as is the $50 for the filter kit. It is amazing how time flies when you are having fun....Pull in and set up to drain maybe 10 minutes, drain maybe 15 minutes, filters 1hr, fill 10 minutes, button things up and move coach out maybe 10 minutes, run it to get up to temperature so that the system allows a level check maybe 15 minutes. Pretty close to 2 hrs.....

I did my Allison 4000 and it took me about 3 hrs but I had not done one before. The filters were unique and a little more complicated than any that I had done before. Actually read the instructions :-) I also was very careful about keeping things clean and I torque the bolts with a torque wrench by hand. It does take some time to do one right.

I'm not saying that the job cannot be done faster but thay are not far off. Parts and 2 hours labor seems about right without any extra charges.

Later Ed

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »
The transynd test showed this. Silicon (dirt/seal material) higher than normal. Evidence of water treatment chemicals present but below detection limits of glycol. Sodium/potassium level (oil additive/coolant) high. Suspect high operating temperature or over extended oil drain.

It has never run high temps and have no idea re water treatment chemicals. Hence I think the test was contaminated. Roush Trucking in Yuma said there machine was not working and had to be cleaned and then get a new printer. He had my sample for 3 weeks before he did the test.

So, I orederd a test kit today from JG lubricant services. Thanks for the hint Joel. I should have it in a few days.

Then I made some phone calls, always a $ saver. Freightliner was $44 a gallon. Local Allison Was $35 .52 with tax. I need about 4.5 gallons. Freightliner in Tampa will do the drain/refill if necessary for $125, flat rate one hour of labor. I aint messing with it for $125.

Thanks to all for the help. At 69,000 miles I suspect a good test will show I am still good to go for a while.

Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:52:37 AM »
Ken,

I stopped at the Allison shop in Tampa and they said that the change interval is 300,000 and I shouldn't worry about spending the $525 to do it any sooner.  I am going to bring the coach in and have them change the engine brake profile and ask about the new shift program brought on by the 2010 EPA requirements.

Let me know how Freightliner is.  I may just have the filters changed.  BTW, are we neighbors?  I live in Apollo Beach.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:31:10 AM »
This is what Allison officially says about fluid change interval for a 3000 transmission filled with Transynd:

300,000 miles
(480 000 km)
48 months
6,000 hours,
whichever comes first

The filter change recommendation is:

75,000 miles
(120 000 km)
36 months
3,000 hours,
whichever comes first

I believe many RVers have been changing fluid roughly on the filter change cycle (3-4 yrs).  I have been told that this is usually unnecessary, but that lab testing is the only safe way to go beyond the 48 month recommendation without risking warranty issues.  Given the cost of a transmission overhaul I sure wouldn't want to just assume everything will be Ok.  IMHO a <$30 lab test is a good investment.

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »
Gil, thats what I was told. However, this 'test' prompts me to spend $26 for a test. Cant hurt and its cheap piece of mind. We are in Bradenton for 10 days with friends from Boynton Beach. As we are from CA, we are temporary neighbors.

I would be very very interested in that new shift program. I had mine changed from the original but now dont like how it shifts into 4th and 5th. Just a little too son unless at WOT.

Please let me know what you find out re: the new shift program. Here is my personal email: mayahuelxx@gmail.com.  I will not be doing anything with the Allison pending the test.

Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006