Author Topic: Death Valley via CA SR 190  (Read 7261 times)

Les Marzec

Death Valley via CA SR 190
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
We are thinking of going through Death Valley via 395 N, then SR 190 East.  Has anybody gone this way?  It is a scenic route, but I have not been on it in 30+ years and I was in a PU. The pics on the CA Highways shows some stepper grades and a windy road.

Other option is north out of Baker and then over to NV 95.

Appreciate the input.

Mike Merchant

Re: Death Valley via CA SR 190
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
Les-
We stop in DV every year on our way to our current location (Borrego Springs) and have used most all the routes.

395-190:  Consider staying at Red Rocks State park for 1 nite on Ca state 14 just north of Mojave. If it's a week nite you may have the place entirely to yourself, very quiet, very dark, great place for morning coffee sitting on a rock watching the sun come up. We've had our 40' Monterey in with no problem, probably would not take our current coach in. Drive the campground road with your tow first to check it out. Makes next day into DV much shorter. 190 into Panamint Spr is steep, as always just start slow, use your engine brake and don,t sweat anybody behind you; the goal is for everybody to go down safely, time is not a factor.

We have switched to Ca state 178 thru Ridgecrest. You can fill up with diesel in China lake or Ridgcrest for a dollar a gallon less than in DV, stop for lunch at Trona and be in Furnace Creek by mid afternoon. 178 hits 190 just of Panamint Spr, has just one steep ( 8 percent ) grade with curves for 2 miles ( I start at 15 mph in 2nd with engine brake and don't have to touch the service brakes much at all. Almost no other traffic, it's lonsome country out there.

Either way you have to go over Towne Pass (5000') on 190, a steep 8-10 mile climb then a hopefully unexciting 17 mile continuos decent into the bowels of DV. I use second gear all the way and simply don,t let the speed build up. The bottom strait stretch can fool you after the curvey upper part, the bottom is equally steep and long, we've watched some real white knucklers go by the store in Stovepipe Wells.

127 out of Baker to 190 and then down the Furnace Creek wash is straightforward.

Furnace Creek campground is closed for installation of water and electric. Sunset CG is huge, select a spot on the upper level of the overflow area for panoramic views of the entire valley out your windshield.

Pay attention to your fuel gauge, the miles are long and the gas stations few.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »
Les, Mike's right. 190 from 395 is steep and curvy. 127 through Trona via Ridgecrest is a better bet with the one streep grade to Towne Pass. We've done 190 from 395 in our  old 40' Patriot and frankly, don't recommend it.

By the way, we're doing a rally in Death Valley at Sunset Campground before Las Vegas (3/14 - 3/18). You'll see 17 Beavers all lined up - stop by and say  hello.

And yes, get gas before Death Valley. Diesel is over $5.50/gallon there.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Death Valley is a fun place to visit and a great place to play with your 4x4. When we lived in Southern Ca. we tried to make at least a yearly visit there over our 15 years in SoCal.

Regarding the different access routes to the Park: when we planned to explore the Western and Northern areas of the Park we would often stay at the Panamint Springs campground just outside the Stove Pipe Wells entrance and then take the toad over the pass. Don't know If the campground is still open. We found it adequate with hookups and a place to eat. Food was so so. We chose to stay there because of the steep Towne Pass grade which I think is in the 8-9% range. I tried that Pass *one time* exiting the Park and will never do it again. At that time we had a '94 Patriot with Pac Brake, and a brake system on the Cherokee. Although we made the down hill ok it was not a good experience. I'm sure it would be a better experience in the Thunder with Jake. But no thanks. You have to think about what to do if there is a brake failure. Not many options going down that hill.

Since, we always opted for the Baker, Ca route. Although it was a bit further from our previous home in Lancaster, Ca. it is a much safer drive.

I would not recommend the Stove Pipe Wells (Towne Pass) entrance in or out of the Park in a Coach.

However, tour busses do it all the time.

Les Marzec

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »
Guys

Thanks for all of the input.  Sounds like the road in from the west is a steep one regardless.  Still not sure what way we will come in.  I guess I will decide when I get close.

Not sure what dates we will be there, but if during your rally, we will look you.

How about the road out, Highway 373, toward Nevada 95?

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:54:23 AM »
The Daylight Pass road  (Nevada 374) to Beatty is a good straight road, you should be able to navigate without a problem.  What is your destination?

Larry

Les Marzec

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:51 AM »
Eventually we are heading back home to Salt Lake around the first of April.  Probably stay in Mesquite or Southern Utah for a while.  

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »
If you want to go through Las Vegas, consider 190 to Death Valley Junction then there is a road directly to Pahrump, then on 160 to Las Vegas and North on I-15.  I have taken that route several times in an RV.

Larry