Author Topic: Cracked Skylight  (Read 9023 times)

Gil_Johnson

Cracked Skylight
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
I need to replace the skylight over the shower of my 08 Contessa.  Where can I find a replacement?

Thanks,

Gil

Craig Rollins

Re: Cracked Skylight
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
Perfect, thanks!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
Gil,
When replacing the skylight always use a double layer skylight with an air space between the layers to prevent sweating on the inside layer in cool or cold weather. A sweating skylight will get the trim around the skylight wet and discolored. It can also ruin the finish on any wood that is in contact.

Gerald

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  The one that's in now is a single layer exterior skylight with a trim ring and another skylight that's mounted on the inside.  BTW, I found the crack from the inside after removing the interior one for cleaning.  From the outside the crack looks like a scratch.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Hmmm.  I thought those two-panel skylights, like mine, were sealed together.  But you say you removed the inner one Gil?  Mine has condensate between them but I can't find even the slightest hint of a crack, scratch, or bad roof seal, so it's been perplexing.  I was going to have BCS replace it this spring, but if the two panels aren't laminated together, perhaps I need to remove the inside molded trim and check if the water is actually humid air seeping in from the inside rather than from rain?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
Beaver Coach Sales in bend.  Called ordered and got it in a few days.  I believe the cost was about $125 plus a couple tubes of suggested sealant.  The hardest part of the job was removal of all the old sealant.  There was some tough stuff on there.  Soften it up with a wax/grease remover and do small bits at a time so not to ruin the surrounding roof material.  Home despot has a multi tool vibrating cutter that looked perfect for getting the thick part off.  A heat gun also helps but be wary of too much heat in one spot.
Our new skylight was one piece but the old came out in two broken pieces.
Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
Joel, in the case of my skylight there's no way the inner and outer panels could have ever been attached.

I noticed that the UV damage warranty on white Lexan is 5 years and colors are only 2 years.  If I have to buy custom made it will be white.

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Perhaps mine is structurally different than yours, Gil, since it is clear inside and black outside.  Reckon I'll have to pop off an interior trim panel hoping for a clue as to two seperate pieces or two glued together.

Here is the type mine seems to be like (Skymaster Double Dome):
http://www.jfreeman.com/skylights.html

Joel
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:51:53 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »
Joel,

Mine is definately different than what you describe.  I just got a replacement from Alliance Coach without having to have one custom made.  It is a single thickness skylight that's mounted on the roof.  On the inside there is a trim ring that has a clear crackled finished skylight on its top.  I suppose there is an air gap given the roof mount and interior unit are not directly open.

Now for removing and replacing the skylight.  Hmmm, where's that magazine that detailed how to do the work...

BTW, here's a case were Alliance Coach had the part for my 08 Contessa in stock.  This is a 5 sided skylight, so I don't know how popular it might be.  This is the second time they surprised me.  Last year they had a tail light wiring harness in stock that was priced right!

Gil
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:53:05 PM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:44 AM »
Okay the new skylight is in.  Here's some information that those with similar vintage Contessa may find helpful.
     Removal is quite simple.  I used a painter’s tool.  It’s a stout putty knife like device.
     The replacement unit from Alliance Coach is a perfect match is size, but the mounting holes do not match, which is actually a good thing.
     The fiberglass roof deck produced by Beaver is actually more substantial than I was expecting and is all fiberglass—Kudos to Beaver!
     The spacing between the roof and frame work was void of any filling near the opening for the skylight.  Further back Styrofoam was visible.  I filled this in with spray insulation.  I used the blue can as it will not create any damage when expanding.
     I’d say about ½ the mounting screws for the skylight actually were in the chassis framing.  This is not a good practice.  Given the roof will flex when walked on; these mounting screws will be pushed up and may become a source of leaks.  As I said before the new skylight holes did not match.  This allowed me to use self drilling shorter screws.
     The original skylight was installed after the side awning.  So, it was mounted over the lip of the awning mount.  To ensure a flush mount, I slid the new skylight under the awning mount.  This is the way it should have been done anyway.
     The interior trim and skylight has about 2” of clearance between it and the framing.  I cut fiberglass insulation to fit this 2” by 4” tall gap.  Although I don’t have a two piece skylight, this insulation and the foam spray insulation does the best I can at achieving a two piece skylight.  I’m confident this will reduce the heat transfer at least a little bit.
The bottom line is that this is an easy job and those with this vintage coach should inspect the mounting screws and skylight mounting on the awning for signs of leaks.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
Quote from: Keith Moffett
......  Home despot has a multi tool vibrating cutter that looked perfect for getting the thick part off....
I got this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK5101K-SoniCrafter-37-Piece-Oscillating/dp/B001EYUGMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1332341758&sr=1-1.  I'm only learning what it can do. It came with a scraper blade and it was very good at getting the old sealant out of the shower.  

Note:  If you want one, go through the new link at http://www.beaveramb.org/ and the club makes a little money.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat