Author Topic: 2001 Patriot with slide that would not retract  (Read 6764 times)

Bill Sprague

2001 Patriot with slide that would not retract
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »

A 2001 Patriot  owner, but not BAC member, couldn't get her single slide in.  She sought help from Cleghorns in the next campsite in Havasu City.  Mike and Cathy got a few more of us to help figure it out.  Mike got Gerald Ferris on the phone and tried to reach Roy Mueller.  We tried to trace wiring and, inspected the area around he hydraulic pump once we found it.  Looking for fuses, Mike spotted a relay in the electric bay in front of the left front tire that was labeled "hyd sys".  It didn't seem to sound right or feel right to Mike when the owner cycled the switch.  The local NAPA store had the relay.  Even though we were not entirely sure it was the problem, it was replaced.  The slide retracted normally.

In all, several Beaver members participated in person or by phone and the problem was solved in under 3 hours.  

So, if you have a slide that won't retract someday, one issue might be the relay in the electrical bay.  

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: 2001 Patriot with slide that would not retract
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
I hope that owner will consider the benefits of BAC membership.

Larry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
I hope that owner will consider the benefits of BAC membership.

Larry
Larry,
I outlined the benefits for her and invited her to join.  When I got to the part about fun rallies, she balked.  She explained that her lifestyle with her partner would not fit in a club like ours.  

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
Oh my! Must be a pretty strange lifestyle that would not fit in with the rest of us! I don't think we have a particular " type ". And no one says that taking part in rallies is a must, but I think it will be fun to do. I hope she will change her mind and find a reason to join.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
Joining BAC and enjoying the benefits of just the Forum has doesn't have a thing to do with life style.  
to bad for her/them.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
I'd think that just being able to fully participate in this Forum, to get questions answered, would be reason enough to join.  We've been to one rally in almost 5 years, but are members regardless.  All those Beavers worked to help her out, and she still didn't think being a member would be worth it?  How many Beavers are gonna be nearby the next time something goes haywire?  Her Forum would be a mere click away.

Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »
Am with you Joel......haven't been many rallys except the home rallys before they went with Monaco and went away, but the forum is the greatest benefit!!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:39 AM »
Leah and Joel,

I just spent my day at the BAC Board Meeting where we discussed everything from this forum and Facebook to rallies two years away.  

Since I've been thinking about it all day, what sort of event, location or theme would entice you to join us at a rally?

Thanks.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:01:19 AM »
Our issues aren't so much with the Rallies, Bill.  We've been "stuck" at home due to the financial downturn nicking us a bit in the shorts, and a few medical issues here and there.  Plus our descendants decided to all come home, and have parked various sundry large devices, such as stripped cars and trailers to live in, in front of Monty Rae.  The daunting prospect of moving such paraphenalia to get said Beaver off her pad has proved discouraging, so we sit and dreamily wear the edges of our BeaverTales.

But alas, if the Buscuit Burner's medical gods approve, we shall endeavour to part Monty from her tether and venture forth late next month to BCS for some maintenance and minor repairs, perhaps to see relatives in Elko, NV, and then east to our Grandson's wedding at Estes Park in the Rockies west of Ft. Collins May 12.  I have a flyfishing date with guide Bob Jacklin after that in SW Montana or Idaho, and our Passports are on order so we can scoot over the line to see my Calgary/Edmonton cousins in real beaver country.  Alaska was the followup idea, but family ties to Nebraska may be a more affordable adventure at this summer's diesel prices.

Though we're not on Bill's list, perhaps we'll meet up with some of you at an impromptu Circle the Beavers enroute.  

Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
Bill,
Can't think of much specific except where they are located relative home.  I'm not a full timer and live in New Mexico and that is somewhat remote from many rallys.  Themes not much of an issue, I just enjoy cabits 'ing with others regarding motorhome topics as I am solely responsible for caring for my coach.