Author Topic: Air Bags  (Read 6329 times)

Steve Adams

Air Bags
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »
Hi all,

We have been working with a leaking air bag or two on the drivers side front for the last year or so.  After sitting for 4-5 days, the left front corner starts to sag and we have to start it up to refill the bags.

We have used PacificPower Products in Ridgefield, WA.  They specialize in semi's, but do have a couple of decent RV techs. We have been very pleased with their work.  We live in Hillsboro, OR, on the west side of Portland.  Other than Camping World (which I will not use), does anyone have a recommendation for a decent shop in the area?

Would anyone know anything about the bags on a 2001 Contessa on a Magnum chassis?  Such as the model, size or capacity. We would prefer being able to drive it over and back home on the same day rather than having to leave it overnight.

Thanks, Steve
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:50:17 PM by 14 »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Air Bags
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
Hi Steve, I know that you could still take the rig to Monaco Service center in Harrisburg!

If you can wait until the rally over in Sisters, the guys in Bend Motor Coach Sales can take care of any problem. Check will Bill, the rally Master, for space.  It's listed on the forum for June, and Bend has a link on our site.

I think your best repair may be with Henderson Line Up.  They have a link on our Forum front page, and are located at Grants Pass.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:53:07 PM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:25:53 AM »
Settling over several days is common.  But if 12v. is available (main switches not shut off for storage) and the leveling control is set, the auxilliary compressor in front of the entry step underneath (on most rigs I've seen) should help keep enough air supplied to overcome settling tendencies.  Is that compressor functioning?  As per recent threads here, they are subject to failure.

The loss of air, if unusually significant, could be from various sources, not just the bags.  I'd crawl under (with proper blocking diligence and safety care) and check the compressor contacts, fuse, motor, and wiring, then be patient and consider a trip that works a stop in at one of Jerry's good suggestions for a checkup.  But be aware that if the air loss is considered normal and relatively minor, as ours is, the facility may balk at checking because microleaks are very time-consuming to track down, and may still be undiscoverable;  from a practical point of view, they may not think you should endure the labor cost involved.

If you are anxious to get it looked at, you may also consider Mobile RV Technical Services.  If Dana is still there, he did some work for me on our old coach 7 years ago, and was pretty savvy:    www.MobileRVrepair.com .     503-209-2602.  Due to them coming to you, there is some added cost to it.  But I don't blame you, Olinger's would not be my first choice for service, even though you are nearly next door to them.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:43:27 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »
Steve,

On a 2002 Marquis with a Magnum chassis, the air spring is a Goodyear 1R12-431. It was a proprietary PN that I could not get at any supply places that specialize in air springs, when I looked several years ago. The PN was controlled by Monaco and only available through them. Not sure if your coach uses the same PN, but it should be listed on the side of the bag.  It is more likely that a valve or fitting is leaking, given how slow the leak is. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
As Mr. Farris suggested, not all air leaks come from the bags, I just had to replaced the back air control valve on the differential, as the valve body, (Ridewell) by name, has a composite body and was cracked and leaking air.  I had replace the front ones as well a year ago for the same reason. You may want to take a good look at the valve bodies next to the airline hookups, and see if you can see cracks.  May try soap and water to find air bubbles on the bodies.
Good luck
Arden Smith
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:51:26 AM by 14 »
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Steve Adams

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
All, we've decided to have the air system checked out the next time we have the coach in for service at Pacific Power Products. They have always treated us well and their prices have been reasonable.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Steve & Cathy