Author Topic: slides  (Read 3419 times)

Dan Savard

slides
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
My 2008 patriot thunder slides won't open.  Have power to the motor; it operates intermitanlly.  The Mech has phoned power generator.  They have not called back.  He thinks it is the solenoid switch?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:20:51 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: slides
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »
There is a bank of hydraulic solenoids, 2 per slide - one for "In" and one for "Out".  But if it's the pump motor, and it is intermittant, it may be a bad ground connection, or hot lead.  Check that the connections are clean and tight at the motor's electric solenoid first, especially any ground wire, but I'm going to assume the motor casing and solenoid grounds itself by being bolted to the chassis.  That solenoid should be mounted on the pump motor itself, and is what your mechanic is likely referring to.  On my coach, as I recall, the pump, tank, and hydraulic solenoid manifold above it all are directly inboard of the entry step mechanism.  The electric solenoid is very easy to access.

But use caution - that solenoid is fed by a 200 amp fuse on my coach, so I'd turn off at least the house main switch first.  The juice may not be getting solidly through from the fuse because 1) the pump isn't tightly bolted to the chassis, 2) the + wire from the 200 amp fuse in the battery bay is loose or badly corroded causing high resistance, 3) one of the low amp connections (2 smaller wires) is loose, so juice from the switch isn't getting through to activate the solenoid, 4) the solenoid has gone bad internally and needs replacement, or 5) the motor itself is going belly up.

Just a place to start
-Joel
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:21:41 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
I recently found the power lead to my hydraulic pump had a bad connection, so my front slides didn't operate (pump wouldnt run.)  After cleaning and tightening this connection problem was resolved. Another occasion on my '05 Monterey, I found a blown fuse in my bathroom that was preventing the rear bedroom slides from opening once too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:11:37 AM by 14 »

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
Here is a picture of my pump with solenoid located by the front step. I used a heavy cable and "jumped" my solenoid to see if the pump would run which it did and my slides suddenly worked again. I was surprised to find the heavy red cable was just a poor connection. Actually I take that back, nothing surprises me anymore with these machines. :)