Author Topic: Leveling Compressor runs ever 5 minutes  (Read 3890 times)

Sean Donohue

Leveling Compressor runs ever 5 minutes
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
We had an issue with the small compressor that comes on to keep the RV level. Over time it would run more often until last night it was running ever 5-10 minutes... It was driving DW and I nutz... I sprayed soap water around a few fittings near the compressor and nothing... So I decided to place the Power Gear panel to the OFF position... No help, Tried placing the system in the Manual position... no help. Finally I releveled the rig and went outside and disconnected the electrical power wire to the compressor.  Next morning checked the Power Gear panel and we were still level... Examined the wire connections and they were a little corroded, so I cleaned the connectors and went to reconnect and found the problem. The wires connect directly to what looks like a pressure switch, this switch is connected to the compressor via a rubber/plastic tube which I am going to assume is pressurized so the switch can tell the pressure. When I grabbed the switch to reconnect the wires, I noticed the tube moved, I could spin it and when I pushed the tube in, it moved about an 1/8th" into the fitting. I reset the leveling system and the pump operates when I adjust the leveling system and has not run uncommanded for the past 1 1/2 hour...

In my reading of threads about this system last night I noticed a lot of people had the same issue, either a few minuts or a few days. I wonder if this push on the tube would be the cure for you? Anyway, just had to share.

Sean Donohue

Re: Leveling Compressor runs ever 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Two hours and while the Power Gear system did readjust the level... the compressor has stayed off. I will manually adjust the level to trigger the compressor and ensure the compressor is still functioning, will do this later tonight.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
Thanks for uncovering the problem, AK.  Perhaps we could all benefit from installing a little spring hose clamp to keep the tube from slipping loose.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:24:50 AM »
The problem is likely the same as mine.  The pressure switch was installed in the wrong place.  My pressure switch was in the hose connecting the tank to the compressor.  In my case, the check valve was at the tank on the line to the compressor.  Compressors, over time, will bleed down; that's why the check valve is there.  The fix is to move the pressure switch to the tank.  I installed a T on the fitting for the pressure relief valve.  I then bought a short piece of DOT 1/4" tubing to attach the tank to the compressor where the pressure switch was.  Problem solved.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
I will relook at my pressure sensor line when I get home for what you have discribed Gil. I plan to put a hose clamp on it then as well. Thanks for the additional input. BTW the self leveling kicked in late last night and the pump ran on it's own. Been quiet since.