Author Topic: 08 Contessa Power Steering Reservoir  (Read 5068 times)

Larry Waterman

08 Contessa Power Steering Reservoir
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
I thought I knew where most components of my coach are, but I have to admit I am stumped about where my power steering reservoir is located.

Navistar support told me that it was in the rear of the coach on the passenger side, but I must be blind or don't know what I'm looking for.

Navistar support also told me the fluid that should be used is AW46 hydraulic fluid and that Roadmaster did not publish any chassis manuals for my coach (RR10S I believe). (is that correct?)

Thanks for any help.

LEAH DRAPER

Re: 08 Contessa Power Steering Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
Didn't you get a 2008 Manual with your coach?  It covers a H--- of a lot.  Very thick manual.

I think the what you are looking for is on the left in the engine compartment. Big black upright tank.

Larry Waterman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »
I did get a manual (did not come with the coach & had to get from Navistar), but didn't find the reference to the power steering reservoir in the manual.

Thanks for the help!!!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:26:31 AM »
Larry,
The radiator fan and the power steering use the same hydraulic pump and reservoir. If you can not identify the reservoir, you can follow the hoses from the hydraulic radiator fan to the pump and reservoir for the system.

Gerald  

Ken Buck

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 02:36:15 AM »
On mine it's a large black can, about 8 inches in diameter, maybe 14" tall, on the left (drivers side). The tag axle adjustment guage and valve are just to the left of the reservoir. On top is a cap about 1 1/4" in diameter with a 4-5" dipstick on the bottom of the cap when you take it off.  It says nothing about what it's for on it anywhere, but as Gerald says it holds the fluid for power steering and the hydraulic fan. Inside is a 3 pack of filters which should be changed as required on PM schedule.

RR10S is the tag axle chassis designator for that era of coaches. My owners manual has info on fluids and maintenance on it. I have no separate chassis manual either.

Ken