Author Topic: 12 volt lamp replacement  (Read 12902 times)

Randy Perry

12 volt lamp replacement
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:07 AM »
I need to replace two lamps on the small round lights under the cabinets. What's the proper way to access the lamps? I've taken a screw driver thinking the trims just pull down! I put a fair amount of pressure on a couple of them and I'm afraid I'm going to break the "simulated brass" plastic trim!! What am I doing wrong?

Bill Sprague

Re: 12 volt lamp replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
Quote from: Randy Perry
I need to replace two lamps on the small round lights under the cabinets. What's the proper way to access the lamps? I've taken a screw driver thinking the trims just pull down! I put a fair amount of pressure on a couple of them and I'm afraid I'm going to break the "simulated brass" plastic trim!! What am I doing wrong?
I don't know your coach, but most of them I've seen unscrew with about a quarter turn.  They are hard to grip.  I use new work gloves that are rubber coated and kind of sticky.  I've also used rubber shelf liner to grab them.  And, yes mine are plastic.  

As an added note, this week I ordered the replacement bulbs through our BAC connection to Amazon.  The seller is AllTopBargains, through Amazon.  I got 24 of them for $9.  I tried out two today and they work fine.  I noticed the price is up to $15, but you can spend around $3 or $4 each at ACE, Lowes or Home Depot.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:33:41 AM by 149 »

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
Thanks Bill, job done! I guess I should have asked the wattage cuz when I got to the hardware store, they had 10, 20 & 35 watts in stock! And since there were no indication on the burned out lamp, I took a guess and went with 20 watt! So when I installed it and comparred to the one near it, is when I looked at the trim which told me to use 10 watt!  ;)

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:34 AM »
Randy,

These Halogens get very hot and in the small fixtures it could very well be a fire hazard to upthe bulb  from 10W to 20w in one. You did not mention if you changed the 20w back out for a 10w. Thought I would suggest that just in case....

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
I have made the change over to LED lights the units don't get hot
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
Yes I did Ed, having been in the electrical field for the past 39 years, I know it could cause extream heat. But you'd think having that knowlege, I would have confirmed the required wattage before heading to the hardware store..........but I didn't  :-/

Hey Jerry, assuming you can replace the halogen with LED, where would one find them?

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »
Randy,

I have electrical background also and it always takes at least two trips to the hardware store.....a right of passage.

Later Ed

Randy Perry

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »
To be honest, I like my local hardware store so much, I ended up making (4) trips that day ;)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
We don't have a connection with Ebay, but if you are looking for the 10W halogen blub with a G4 base this is a great deal, 10 blubs for $2.95.  Don,t know about the quality.

You will find that deal at  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BYYQZU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=beavambaclub-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005BYYQZU

Amazon has a variety of Halogen 10W blubs, search for 10w 12volt Halogen blubs to see them all.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »
If you are looking for something cooler, I replaced the center row of Halogen bulbs in my Marque with an LED similar to the one shown below.  It's not as bright as the halogen blubs, but good enough for general lighting.  Its great for dry camping, it uses almost no electricity.

LEDwholesalers Disc Type G4 Base Side Pin 6 SMD LED 10 - 30 Volt Ac/dc Under Counter Light Bulb Replacemnt For RV Camper Trailer Boat Marine Bright White, 1106WH

You will find it here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GH4EE4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=beavambaclub-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001GH4EE4"

Dick Reichelt

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
Does anyone know where to find a replacement for the gold cover over these lights?

Dick Reichelt

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:59 AM »
When replacing any halogen bulb, wipe it clean with alcohol just before installing being careful not to touch the bulb with your fingers. I use a disposable glove. The oils from your fingers will cause the bulb to run hot and shorten its life.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
Quote from: Tim Bentley Co-Admin
If you are looking for something cooler, I replaced the center row of Halogen bulbs in my Marque with an LED similar to the one shown below.  It's not as bright as the halogen blubs, but good enough for general lighting.  Its great for dry camping, it uses almost no electricity.

LEDwholesalers Disc Type G4 Base Side Pin 6 SMD LED 10 - 30 Volt Ac/dc Under Counter Light Bulb Replacemnt For RV Camper Trailer Boat Marine Bright White, 1106WH

You will find it here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GH4EE4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=beavambaclub-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001GH4EE4"

Did you insert these replacement LED's with no further modification to the light fixture itself in the ceiling and under the counters?

Is it possible to get them brighter?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
The same kind of LED is available with more "chips" which should provide a brighter light.  The price is the same and these are listed as "warm white": http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Holagen-Replacemnt-Camper-Trailer/dp/B003TJY7FS/ref=pd_cp_hi_2