Author Topic: Battery Discharge  (Read 12981 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: Battery Discharge
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Quote from: Brad Burgess
.....  When your coach is not connected to shore power and you run the generator to charge the house batteries, the BIRD will NOT allow the Big Boy to combine the chassis batteries with the house batteries.  The BIRD is set up so that if there is a signal to the generator lead on the BIRD it will absolutely prevent the Big Boy from combining - according to Intellitec, this is to prevent a conflict when both the inverter (from the generator) and the main engine alternator are providing charge current.  My solution was to disconnect the generator lead from the BIRD while the coach is in storage.  Worked perfectly and the BIRD now allows the Big Boy to combine when the house batteries are being charged from the inverter via the generator.  
In my files I had a downloaded instruction sheet for the BIRD.  It didn't show a generator terminal.  Yesterday, I checked the motorhome.  The version of BIRD installed has such a terminal.  But, there is not a wire attached to it.  Apparently, the genset and inverter will charge the same time as the engine alternator is trying to.  I've run the generator many times while driving.  Nothing has fried!  

Mark Bryant

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
I had the same issues in storing my coach in a garage in that after two weeks the chassis batteries would be low. There is no electric to the garage!
In the proccess of installing 400W of solar on the coach I added 2 50W panels, 1 on the roof of the RV and 1 on the roof of the garage. The systrm reguired a new charge controller and wiring for the added solar panels, 3 100W & 1 50W.

I disconnected the exsisting 100W panel and tied it into the new system to the coach battery bank giving me 400W's for dry camping.

I installed quick disconnects between the 50W panels wiring to the controller for factory system that came with the coach using the installed RV45D controller. Now when we are on the road I have the 50W panel on the coach connected and when the coach is stored the 50W panel on the roof of the garage is connected.

No more low batteries!!

Mark Bryant
06 Monterey 38
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:30:26 PM by 615 »

Brad Burgess

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
Hi Bill

My 06 Monterey also does not have a lead going to the generator tap on the BIRD.  As we often run the generator while traveling we have also not fried anything.  I think Intellitec engineered the BIRD that way to prevent Possible repercussions but it was unnecessary.  My 03 Monterey with the BIRD functioned as I previously posted and those with earlier coaches such as my 03 should check for this condition if their chassis batteries do not charge from the charger/generator while parked.  With these coaches all avenues should be explored - my situation with the 03 is just one of many I am sure.

Brad Burgess

Mel Griffin

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »
What is a Bird and a Big Boy ?

Do I have them on my Patroit ?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 01:59:28 AM »
I think our 2000 era coaches have a more simplistic approach.  We have a battery combiner...that big blue (perhaps red) finned gadget on the overhead allows the engine gen. to charge both batteries togeather.  Then we have an echo charger that keeps the coach battery topped off when on shore power or gen set.

I'm not positive but I think that is reffered to as the big boy....no idea why.

Simple but effective.  Latter years added a lot more complications.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:57:18 PM by 14 »

Keith Oliver

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »
Denis:

i had the same issues when I first got this coach (March 2011).  I found the parasitic drain on the chassis batteries too much, mostly the ECM, but also the clock in the radio woulds stay on.
I put a $35 knife switch on the battery terminal (neg side) and that solved the problem.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
Quote from: ]What is a Bird and a Big Boy ?

Do I have them on my Patroit ?[/quote
They are brand names for electrical components made by "Intellitec Products, LLC., a Florida Limited Liability Company, who is the world's premier source of battery rundown protection, power distribution, power switching and multiplexing devices for specialty vehicles."

The two components are located near the batteries and work together to provide charging current for both sets of batteries, depending on the available supply of electricity.