Author Topic: leaking slide covers  (Read 6810 times)

Robert Mathis

leaking slide covers
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
The awnings over my slides have begun to leak, causing water to pool on top of the slide and leak past the seals on top.  I can see the water coming thru the canvas.  Any suggestions to seal the canvas other than replacement?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:55:09 AM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

Re: leaking slide covers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »
Robert,

I don't think the slide covers were ever intended to keep water out of your motorhome.  If they were the primary "roof", why would it be open on the ends.  If there is any wind at all, the top of my slides are wet.   Or, why would they be installed to allow pooling in the rain.

The top of the slide has several seams that need to be resealed once in awhile.  My suggestion is to focus on that to stop your leaks.  The slide should be rain proof regardless of the condition of the cover.

We spend a lot of time in rain country.  I got angry every time it rained and multiple gallons of water collected in the toppers.  Retracting the slides sent gushers down and mud splashed up.  On one trip I noticed another camper whose slide covers were a fabric mesh.  The dirt and leaves stay out and the rain flowed through.  He had no puddles to deal with.  Nor did he have blocks of ice if there was a morning freeze after a rain.  

Thinking I was inspired, I melted drain holes in the covers on one slide.  It works so well, I did the same on all of them.  Now, the rain goes through, the dirt stays out and I never get big puddles or ice blocks.  Tim and Dianna Bentley have gone even further.  They melted a perfectly straight row of holes, hand crafted a fabric gutter and sewed it under the cover.  The rain is directed off the top of the slide.  

When it was under warranty, I "pro" resealed one slide.  Since the warranty has ended, I've done it myself a couple of time.  There are a few "tricks".  If you want to do it yourself, let me know I will tell you how I did it.  

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
I'd like to know how you did it. My outer seal looks good, but obviously is letting water get by, as is the inner one. The offending seal is the curb side bedroom slide. It doesn't actually seal against the inner walls when open like the others do. We have never had a leak previously, but the coach hasn't been used much in the last year and i guess the rubber seals are getting brittle.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
Bill, I did notice this morning that the other 3 slides have a rubber or vinyl material adhered to the slide wall itself and the seals actually "ride" onto the material. The one that is leaking, just has the rubber seal contacting the painted surface of the slide walls and roof.  I'm wondering if that could be a contributing factor?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:58:57 AM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
I'm not sure I am can describe this well.  And, it will be difficult to take pictures.  So, I will do my best.

The rubber seals are not the primary way the water is kept out.   They do seal against rain and there are usually two.  The one that is easiest to see is called the "wipe" seal.  It's primary purpose is to work like a windshield wiper to wipe excess water off when you retract the slide so the rug doesn't get wet.  It also deflects a lot of rain, but is not an absolute seal against it.  The more important rubber seal is like weather stripping and is squished between the slide lip and the sidewall.  There are two sets.  One for retracted and one for extended. They are difficult to replace and, over time, the slide adjustment can drift so that there is not even contact all the way around.  I'm not convinced that all coaches can have this seal work perfectly.  

The best way to keep the rain out is maintaining the slide roof itself.  

If the slide were all the way out of the coach and you were looking at it from the end, the top would be a wide "U" shape.  The vertical parts of the "U" are about 3 inches.  The outer one is easy to see when the slide is extended and the inner one has decorative molding on it inside.  The bottom of the "U" is flat, made of metal sheets and there are rivets.  Each of those seams, the rivet heads and the joints between the flat area and the short vertical parts of the "U" are prone to leaking and the sealants have to be maintained.   The exception to this is the version Beaver used until Monaco took over.  The roof was fiberglass and has a deep gutter built in.  

There are two ways to gain access to what needs to be sealed.  You can extend the awning and "C" clamp blocks of wood to the fabric so that it does not roll up.  Then remove the brackets that hold the roll up mechanism.  I attach ropes, then lay the loose assembly on the roof and then creatively tie it so it stays there while I work.  The other way to gain access is to do the same thing with the clamps, leave the brackets on and work under the loose fabric like it was a tent.  It forces you to work from the ends on a ladder or on your belly (on top of the slide).

It is important to mention that the roll up mechanisms in these awning can eat fingers.  Painfully and permanently.  

There are two ways to seal the inner seam.  Under warranty, a tech did my kitchen slide by retracting it 6 or 8 inches.  He fit a piece of clear plastic tubing over the end of the sealant tube, and by feel, ran a bead of sealant along the seam.  He worked in the narrow gap between the ceiling and slide lip.  The other way is to do it from the outside.  I use small wood blocks to hold the wipe seal out of the way and can reach the seam with the nozzle of the sealant tube.  There is some risk that you will have to clean a little sealant off the wipe seal.  

If the awning is out of the way, the seams between the flat top sheets, the seam along the outside vertical lip and the rivet heads are easy, except for getting it clean first.  I use acetone.  It will dull the paint but it is the top of the slide and not visible.  

Many say not to use silicone because the second time your do it will be difficult.  My Beaver came from the factory with silicone everywhere.  I don't know what the best sealant is.  

Good luck!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
Quote from: Robert Mathis
Bill, I did notice this morning that the other 3 slides have a rubber or vinyl material adhered to the slide wall itself and the seals actually "ride" onto the material. The one the is leaking just has the rubber seal contacting the painted surface of the slide walls and roof. i'm wondering if that could be a contributing factor?
It sounds like you might want to find some other Beavers and see what they have.  You might be missing a seal.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll try to work on it when I get home next week.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »
We had a leak on one slide that was actually located at the riveted top outer wall of the slide.  An RV Repair was done by removing the rivets, peeling back the overlapped metal, putting down new sealant, and then bending the metal back and installing new rivets. The end result was no more leaks.  Hopefully you won't need to go this far...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:05:02 AM by 14 »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
I don't think mine is leaking thru the slide itself, the water seems to be running in across the slide and down the side or front. I'm down in the keys right now, and don't have a tall enough ladder to check it out very well, but will look at it closely when I get home next week. Hopefully, it won't rain again this week. :X

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Quote from: Robert Mathis
... the water seems to be running in across the slide and down the side or front. ..
Since you're in the Keys, I feel a need to ignore you out of envy.  

I've had to fight leaks since we bought our motorhome.  The worst one has been the vertical seals on the bedroom slide.  Neither I nor the various techs that have tried have achieved 100% success.  One thing that does seem to help, is to level with a slight left lean.  It seems to cause the stream from the top of the slide to go outward rather than inward toward the slide.

How's the fishing?

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
Sorry, Bill, I just saw your post. The fishing was okay when the weather broke enough to let us get out. We did manage to catch and release a 200#+ Goliath Grouper that was eating all of our yellowtails. On the leaking issue, when I got home, I found that the sealing tape on top of the slide did not extend all the way to the sides and didn't wrap over the edges. I cleaned the area with acetone and applied another layer of dibond tape that went all the way across the slide and lapped over the sides about 3 inches. The tape actually extend up the sealing face about 1 1/2 inch so the water cannot get to the seam. I'm hopeful this will keep it out of the coach.