Author Topic: Reliability of '96 factory Holding tank monitor  (Read 5477 times)

Bob McCORMACK

Reliability of '96 factory Holding tank monitor
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
The holding tank monitor system on my '96 Patriot use two sensors at each tank position, rather than the usual one that I am used to seeing.   I am considering installing the Seelevel system as a back up before I go full time, but  am wondering if it is necessary.   On my rig the only proper place to install the sensors is behind the wet bay wall which requires more than a little work.  My question is how reliable is the existing system?  Any one with good experience of this system?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:22:26 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: Reliability of '96 factory Holding tank monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
Bob,
In my opinion, the tank sensors in your coach are very reliable if they are keep clean. For example, yours are 16 years old and they apparently still work. The system works by measuring the conductivity between the two brass probes that are inserted into the tank at different levels. If the probes get dirty with wet toilet paper hanging across the probes or a layer or grease bridging the gap, they don't work.

I have been fulltiming in a 2000 Marquis for nine years with the same design tank monitors, and they still work well if I flush the black tank on a regular schedule and clean the gray tank occasionally. I clean the gray tank by filling it about 1/2 full of water and pouring in about 1/3 of a bottle of cheap laundry detergent, that I buy at the dollar store, before a long days drive.

The advantage to the SeeLevel is that the probes do not get dirty. However, in my opinion, the tanks should be cleaned periodically anyway, so the extra cleaning to keep the sensors working in no big deal. It is certainly less of a job than installing the SeeLevel system. But if money is not an object, you can have someone install it, and it will make life simpler.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:03:52 PM by 235 »

Bob McCORMACK

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Good new, thanks Gerald

Bob

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:24:27 AM »
Gerald--

Do you know if the SeeLevel gauge system is compatible with our existing readouts?  I've been assuming it won't be, but I'm considering simply mounting the SeaLevel monitor on the tank access panel.  Even though both my gauges (black and gray) go to zero when I empty the tanks, I find the black one to be unreliable as the tank fills up.  It seems to go from 50% to full, far too quickly.  At least with the SeaLevel system, I would have an accurate and reliable measure for those times that we do boondock (not all that often, which is why I haven't spent the money yet.)

Joel
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:25:47 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
Joel,
The SeeLevel system is not compatible with the CMP 10 system in your coach.

Gerald

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
Just installed the SeeLevel system in my coach, got tired of never knowing if the Aladin system was calibrated or not.  The SeeLevel system monitors mount on the outside of the tanks, so it should never foul up.  It only requires one wire to each tank so its easy to install.  I choose not to buy the one that ties into the Aladin system.  I now have a new panel in the hall that reads the three tanks, battery voltage and propane tank level.