Author Topic: Oregon Routing  (Read 9444 times)

Craig Rollins

Oregon Routing
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »
We are currently enroute to Newport, OR and will be stopping at BCS in Bend on the way. Not being familiar with Oregon's  roads, I am a little unsure of what is the best route to follow. Our current location is just southeast of Boise, ID and so I'm trying to determine whether I want to take Route US20 to the south or US26 to the north. I know that many of you are very well acquainted with the area and so I'm seeking your advise and expertise in determining which way to go from here.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Oregon Routing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
My wife and I used the northern route last year but it was the middle of summer so road conditions were great. Nice drive and great scenery.
Marty

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
We took Hwy 20 with our TT many times so when we bought the Beaver in Bend enroute to Lebanon we went the same way......not quite the same and I put a couple of pinstripes on the passenger side from branches.  Great maiden voyage.

It's very windy and tight but can be done if you take it slow and easy.  Also, when you see a sign that says 25 mph around the corners you best belive it as there is not only a tight turn but a big bump.

On the up side, it is shorter and lots of MH take that route.

We took the northern route on the return trip.

Dick

Lloyd Hall

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »
I have taken 20 about 30 times and it was a good route for me. It is shorter then 26.  Have a good trip.

Lloyd Hall

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:03:58 AM »
I would too vote for US 20 from Ontario to Bend ... piece of cake and quite scenic at least as far as Burns ... kind of boring there after til just outside of Bend.

Glenn

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
My vote is for US20 also,been that way many many times.  Good road and a strait shot to Bend.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:57 AM »
Not that it matters, but HWY 26 is 24 miles shorter than HWY 20 from Ontario to Bend according to my Rand McNally map software. That was why I chose that route. Then HWY 20 to Newport.
Marty

Craig Rollins

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 05:00:18 AM »
Thank you all for your responses. Before posting I was leaning toward taking US20 across, but not being familiar with the road I was just looking for some confirmation that it could handle a large RV. The majority of you who responded have provided that confirmation. Thanks again.

Craig

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Please accept also my recommendation for the Burns route.  The weather here in Bend went belly up last night (rain and cool) but will clear by Saturday supposedly.  Have run 20 many times and is good road for motor home, with a lot of wide open desert and a few hills and many think it a bit boring, but I enjoy the minimal traffic and big country.  Preview your route in Bend, so you know where you're going when you get here... Hwy 97 has multiple routings through town and can be confusing.  Fuel stops best in Ontario and/or Hines.  If you are a member of Pacific Pride/Pioneer Fuel, there is an outlet handy in Burns just west of where Hwy 78 comes in from the south.
We'll be heading east on 20 in the next few days, so may pass you, or see you here  ;)

Joel and Lee
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:02:04 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
And my annual experience on US 20 between Bend and Ontario has been the same ... with 40 ft Marquis and 20 ft Car Hauler ... no problems and little traffic.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 05:23:08 AM »
We found our way to Bend with no issues. Route 20 turned out to be a pretty nice road. Weather has been very cooperative although the temps are expected to drop tonight. Everyone's routing and weather advice was greatly appreciated. Thanks!