Author Topic: Raycor filter wiring connections  (Read 8707 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Raycor filter wiring connections
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Ok, here I am with my face hanging out.  What a dummy.
I like clean bays, so when I finished oil and fuel filter changes, the bay gets a cleaning.  This time however one of the two wires that plug into the sensor on the bottom of the spin on primary fuel filter popped out from behind the filter somewhere.  The one that is still connected goes to the rectangular inline fuse?  Thats what it looks like anyway.
The disconnected wire has a retainer clip and a plastic corrigated seal / boot.  It has a female sleeve type connection a bit like an RCA jack but smaller (perhaps 20ga. wire).

Frankly, it is possible that this wire never was connected to anything, because it popped out so easily.  I barely touched it with a cleaning brush.   I have looked at Parker Raycor site and the Parker/Winn site, but both have poor pictures.  I have searched the bay top to bottom and can't find any place it might have connected.

Could this have been for an optional 'remote warning light' which I dont have?

I believe that this is the upgraded system, but have no record of that and there is no discription of the difference.

Would appreciate some help on this one
Thanks
Keith Moffett
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:35:22 PM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

Re: Raycor filter wiring connections
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
Kieth,

Not sure if we have the same system but it sounds like it. On mine the two wires that come from the sensor that resides in the metal housing on the bottom of the Racor filter are connected. One is connected to a weatherproof rectangular connector at the base of the compartment which is the one that I think you called a possible fuse holder. The other one on mine looks to have a small butt conector and connects to a back wire that heads out through a hole that a rubber hose passes though. In order for the sensor to work it would have to have two connections to be reliable. I believe there is a gap beteween two probes and if water settles into the gap a small amount of current is passed through the wires that lead in and out and activates a light. My guess is that one wire comes from the indicator light through one probe and the other probe has a wire that connects to ground. Just a guess... The butt conector on mine is several inches into the compartment from the hole that the hose and wire pass through. The hole is located in the top of the comparment just above the Racor. It could be the wire is on the backside of that hole given there is nothing holding it in place and if disconnected could slip back through the hole at least on mine. What you are looking for is probably somewhere on the backside  of the panel the Racor is mounted on. This is a picture of the bottom of my Racor to see if it is the same Racor system. Good hunting and you are no dummy.....

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »
Keith,
It sounds like you are talking about the ground wire for the water sensor circuit. All that is necessary for that wire is a good ground.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »
Thanks much folks.  Ed, that picture was a big help and yes it appears to be the same as ours.  When the monsoon stops here I will do a search for that wire.  Good to know that I can just ground it though if necessary so thanks Gerald as well.

Ed, is your Raycor the upgraded version or still the 200200 "obsolete" as Parker calls it?   My maintenance log is pretty good from previous owners and shows no changes so it would be good to be able to tell the difference.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Keith--

I know this is the "upgraded" Racor item.  I had posted it in a different thread, but you may not have seen it.  If you're using the S3230P filter you must have it also since the purpose of the mod was to make it possible to use that filter.

Joel

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:25:35 AM »
Joel
Yes actualy I had seen it on the add to Amazon thread and thanks for thinking of me.  The description on the Parker/ Raycor site says it modifies the "obsolete" 200200 unit so that it will use the S3230 filter.  It just doesnt show a good picture nor does it say what changes they made.  My filter is a Fleetgard not a Raycor but could simply be a crossover number.  End result though is that I cant say for sure by the filter number or the description.  Yours is only slightly different than mine but mostly in the mounting which could be the way it was installed.  What does the bottom of the metal bowel under the filter look like?
I see on the Parker Hannifen Raycor site the picture seems to show the plastic line attaches to the center of the metal bowel where mine is off center and has a sensor (water?) which is not in their picture.

What do you think?
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:04 AM »
Gerald
I could not find any disconnected wires as mentioned above.  The air purge still works but not the water purge.  I note that the manual says that unless there is a red light on the control panel it will not work.  I grounded the wire as you suggested and it made no difference.
Let me know if you think of something.
Thanks
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »
Ed
Your suggestion that a wire could have slipped back through the hole made sense to me.  I looked through the assorted plumbing and air  and wire connections without success.  My Patriot is not a Marquis so I am wondering if that makes a difference.  Shure has me scratching my head.
I only have a partial manual for this and it doesnt include the wiring diagram.  Do you happen to have that?  Would you mind taking a closer look?
Any suggestions are helpful
Thanks
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »
Kieth,

It is upgraded and the filter is the newer version. if you have the metal bowl on the bottom I believe that is the upgraded version. As a little piece of filter trivia the upgraded filter version has a lower GPH rating than the original filter did. The newer filter has a borderline GPH flow rating for diesels in the 450+HP range. I have not heard of a fuel starvation issue under full load in a C12 with the new filter arrangement and it should be fine for your 3126.

You do not need a wiring diagram for the coach, there is literature with a wiring diagram for that filter arrangement from Racor. I'll look tomorrow. As Gerald indicated you should just have to ground that wire and if you cannot find the original you can fashion one.  You wil not have a light until you have water beteeen the probes in the metal bowl at the base of the filter. I have never had a water indicator come on and with clean fuel today you may never see one either.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:56:28 AM by 910 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
I look forward to it, Thanks Ed.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
Kieth,

I was tied up yesterday trying to fish tail light wires through a Mini...Grrrr. (Any insight appreciated if someone has done this)

I grabbed the info this morning and the schematic that I remembered was for a bowl heater option. This page covers the water sensor lead color code and where those wires get connected. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:31:10 PM by 910 »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »
Keith: I have a 37' 98 Patriot with the CAT 330. In 2011, I installed the replacement unit. Old was the 200200 and new is the S3230 unit that has the metal housing below the filter. Mine has two wires coming out but only one gets used. At the time, Richard Boatman at Bend Equipment advised me that they just cut off the second wire as it is not used in this particular installation. I left mine on and used a wire tie to curl it up -- just in case it might have some future use. Everything works as before.

www.parker.com/racor may help
Larry Fritz

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone and esp. Ed for going out of their way.
The help and ideas are appreciated.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!