Author Topic: Transfer switch replacement  (Read 7970 times)

Wayne Tull

Transfer switch replacement
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
I'm looking at replacing my transfer switch with a LPT50BRD Automatic Transfer Switch by ESCO. It has DC coils and mine is mounted in the overhead above the bed. The current one has a very loud 60 Hz hum. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this unit.  I will be adding a separate EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired RV Surge Protector by Progressive Industries along with this, but in a different location because the transfer switch is not easily accessible.   On a safety note, the power connections to the transfer switch were not down tight and the switch was not mounted to any surface.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Re: Transfer switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
Check out this one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Transfer-Switch-50-Amp/dp/B007HS0ONG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336235184&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Amazon also has several Surge Protectors than can be viewed with a search

Let me know is any of these work for you so we can add them to our RV store.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
$66 dollars more from that vendor on Amazon than the one I'm looking at below (same Transfer switch model #).

http://rvpowerpartsplus.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=131

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:06:44 AM »
Would a manual switch be more reliable than an automatic one?

Wayne Tull

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:12 AM »
The Transfer switch that I'm replacing was the original from the 93' build date,and works fine other than the hum.  The contacts didn't seem to even be in that bad of condition considering age.  So I'm good with an automatic one.  When I've been in a park and lost power during a storm, just starting the generator was nice.

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Wayne the transfer switch on my 2003 Monterey started humming and I was told to check the wire connection in the switch. They seem to be OK, but I tightened them with a socket  real tight and the humming stopped.
JIm

Wayne Tull

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Tried tightening the wire connections when I saw they were not down tight, no change.  It seems the relay coil/armature assembly does not fully engage.  I have messed around and made some improvement, but not enough to be satisfied with.  If I go with DC instead of AC activated coils I'm hoping this type of problem (60 Hz hum) goes away.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »
Wayne, on mine and do not know if it is the same I just replaced the coil and has not been an issue for about 40 bucks.