Author Topic: Generator Problem  (Read 4789 times)

Dennis n Heather Crawford

Generator Problem
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »
I am on the road with my 2003 Monterey. My generator starts and runs OK, but my AC unit and all power outlets are dead!  When I am hooked up to a shore line, everything is fine. I am presuming that there must be an electrical connection that is not functioning correctly, but I cannot find any reference to it in the motorhome manual.  As always I would be most grateful for any help.
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:47:21 AM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Generator Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »
Sounds like you have a transfer switch problem.

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
Though I am sure you have checked, how about the circuit breaker on the genset?  Even if it looks set, I have found that by opening and closing the breaker, my mystery lack of power is resolved.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
Dennis,
I agree with Glenn. The most likely correction for your problem will be resetting the circuit that is located on the generator itself. If that is OK, check for voltage at the generator input of the transfer switch.  If there is no voltage there with the generator running, you have a generator problem.  However if there is 120V on each generator leg at the transfer switch and no voltage on the outgoing legs to the coach, you have a transfer switch problem.  

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:48:55 AM by 14 »

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Dennis,

One other suggestion ... if you are or will be anywhere near Albuquerque NM and the issue remains after resetting the breaker on the GenSet, I can not say enough about the quality of Generator work thet Ken Vick at Rocky Mountain Cummins has done for us over the past 6 or so years.  I go out of my way to go there for anythig generator related.

1921 Broadway Boulevard Northeast  Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 247-2441

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Beaver owners with Cats have no reason to know about the Cummins Coach Care Centers.  They are "upgraded" Cummins shops that cater to the needs and wants of motorhome owners.   Since Cummins owns Onan, they are good places to get your genset working.  

While I was looking for a list of locations I ran across some interesting Onan "service tips", including a video on how to retrieve a "fault code" here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gJvJaBtO8&list=PLEC6B9535A40DD81F&index=5&feature=plpp_video

The Coach Care service locations are:  Arizona - Phoenix, California - Bakersfield, California - San Diego, California - Irvine, California - Ventura, Colorado - Grand Junction, Colorado - Henderson, Florida - Orlando, Florida - Jacksonville, Florida - Ocala, Florida - Tampa, Georgia - Augusta, Georgia - Atlanta, Georgia - Savannah, Idaho - Boise, Illinois - Normal, Indiana - Elkhart, Michigan - Clinton Township, Michigan - Grand Rapids, Michigan - New Hudson, Minnesota - White Bear Lake, Missouri - Kansas City, Montana - Billings, North Carolina - Greensboro, North Carolina - Kenly, North Dakota - Fargo, New Mexico - Albuquerque, Nevada - Elko, Nevada - Sparks, New York - Albany, Ohio - West Chester, Oklahoma - Tulsa, Oregon - Coburg, Pennsylvania - Harrisburg, South Carolina - Columbia, South Carolina - Myrtle Beach, Texas - El Paso, Texas - Houston, Utah - West Valley City, Virginia - Cloverdale, Washington - Spokane, Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Gillette - Wyoming

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Good points Keith ... but based on personal experience with Rocky Mountain Cummins in Phoenix, I would NEVER recommend them for GENSET work.  

On the other hand, Rocky Mountain Cummins in Albuquerque is fantastic for GENSET issues AND does all the other "stuff" less CAT specific engine work quite well.  This shop has become my regular reapir place for most all coach work when I am not in Oregon ... then (dare I say it?!?) Coachmasters is MY destination.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Am curious, have you had issues with Beaver Coach in Bend?  Or did I miss understand your comment.