Author Topic: Can anyone identify this?  (Read 6664 times)

Craig Rollins

Can anyone identify this?
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:26 AM »
Today my wife was in the bedroom when I heard her call the word(?) "Oh-oh". This is never a good thing, so I went to investigate. When I entered the room she pointed to the floor in the corner. Under the TV and in front of the closet was a self tapping hex head screw. I've looked all over that corner and can't figure out where it may have come from. Yesterday we moved the coach about 130 miles and I'm thinking that the screw may have fallen out of the back side of the bureau slide behind the TV but I can't see in there to be able to tell where it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've attached a pic (I hope) with a steel rule for scale.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Can anyone identify this?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:58 AM »
I have seen this type of self tap screw on the slide brackets. You would need to pull the trim and look at the top slide support. I had to use a larger screw because the hole was elongated. The slide hangs from the mechanism and was popping just before it opened and closed against the body. Need to get it checked or do it yourself soon. I waited to long and had to put rollers under the slide to support the weight.

Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Craig Rollins

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:18 AM »
Thanks for confirming my own suspicions Jim. I'll pull the trim Sunday and take a look.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:11:23 AM »
Craig,
It would be a good idea to check your slide hardware, however do not be surprised if you can not find out were the screw belongs. The assembly line workers dropped many screws when they were building your coach and they rarely if ever picked any of them up. My coach is twelve years old and I am still finding loose screws that when you look closely at the head they were obviously never installed in anything.

Gerald

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
I find these all the time loose in my bedroom (much like my head). Like Gerald said many are dropped during assembly never to be seen until years later when they get raked out into the bedroom floor by the slides. I did discover however that the rollers supporting the bed on that slide were missing two of these type self tapping screws so when you are checking be sure to check the rollers that support your slideout. It could save you a lot of grief in the future. BTW that screw appears to have the threads stripped which means it could have been over-tightened when it was installed. Don't be surprised if you don't find where it came from.
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:45 AM »
Worst moments on a sailboat is when a screw lands on the deck.  If there is nobody alongside who mischevously tossed the screw against the sail, there will be a serious problem in the immediate future.  Hope yours was from a worker at the time of assembly.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
Worst moments on a sailboat is when a screw lands on the deck.  If there is nobody alongside who mischevously tossed the screw against the sail, there will be a serious problem in the immediate future.  Hope yours was from a worker at the time of assembly.

reminds me of when I was racing....tossed a cotter pin or screw (well used) into more than one cockpit.

Young and foolish then, now just foolish.

Craig Rollins

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:17:14 AM »
Well, the mystery has been solved. It is definitely a screw that fell out of the slide mechanism where it attaches to the slide. This may have been a blessing in disguise because it revealed a number of other loose screws. We are currently in Bend at BCS and the screw has been replaced and the loose ones have been tightened.

When we got here we parked and put the slides out. When we put out the kitchen slide the Tambor Door promptly destroyed itself. Thankfully BCS had one in stock. Had we been anywhere else in the country we would have probably waited days while hunting down a replacement.

Thanks again to all who responded. I believe we're in good hands.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
Definitely, Craig.  Ken and his crew will treat you right  ;).   You might have them inspect your other slides also for potential problems like guide roller wear and alignment, and lubricate their mechanisms like they did for me a couple weeks ago.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:57:31 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
We were recently at Bend for repairs that were supposedly done at the Monaco service center in Minnesota.  Shawn and the guys really know what they are doing.  Most of what was done in MN had to be redone, and now everything works great!!!  Also had them install a monitor to the toad while the engine data is displayed on the Alpine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:06:20 AM by 14 »
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis