Author Topic: Hurricane Heater summer bypass valve location?  (Read 7427 times)

Mary and Mike Boone

Hurricane Heater summer bypass valve location?
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
Does anyone with a 2000 beaver Marquis know the location for the Hurricane Heater summer bypass valve?  I called Bend and they say we are circulating hot water behind our cabinets through the coach during these hot months unless we turn this valve and bypass the hurricane system for heating water.  

Does anyone else prepare their motorhome for summer like this?

We are driving thru Texas with generator and ac's blowing hard hoping we can do anything to help the cooling process.  

Mary

Dick Simonis

Re: Hurricane Heater summer bypass valve location?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
I have heard that some are located under the bed.  I haven't found mine yet but since I don't run the Hurricane unless I need heat it's not a problem.  Our hot water is always heated with the electricla element in the HW tank.

Mary and Mike Boone

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
We aren't using the Hurricane.  It's off.  However, our engine circulates and heats the motorhome apparently if this water valve is not turned to restrict water to the hot water heater.   If I have this wrong, would love more input.    

Glenn Perkins

• BAC Member
  • 99 Marquis
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
Suspect it is the same as for the 99's.  And if so, there are two parallel levers under the bed, assuming they are in the circulation position (and parallel to each other) just rotate them to the other position ensureing they stay parallel.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »
[quote author=]We aren't using the Hurricane.  It's off.  However, our engine circulates and heats the motorhome apparently if this water valve is not turned to restrict water to the hot water heater.   If I have this wrong, would love more input.    [/quote]

I believe the way it works is that there is a heat exchanger on the engine coolant loop but for the hurricant to actaully heat the air handlers the circulation pump must run which it does not unless it's either "on" or the dash switch is in the "preheat" position.

Baring that, there shouldn't be any appreciable heat inside the coach.

barbhalsell

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 01:26:42 AM »
We found the valves in the engine compartment back towards the bed, it is a definate lean way down and peer in with a flashlite. Look for 2 separate ball valve type handles.

Richard Crane

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »
We have a 2000 Marquis Jasper. Our valves are located under the access hatch between the bed and the closet. They are marked with arrows for summer and winter positions. I understand they must both be in the same position or damage can occur.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis

I believe the way it works is that there is a heat exchanger on the engine coolant loop but for the hurricant to actaully heat the air handlers the circulation pump must run which it does not unless it's either "on" or the dash switch is in the "preheat" position.

Baring that, there shouldn't be any appreciable heat inside the coach.

From having read a number of previous posts I think our Thunders may have one "preheat" switch where the Marquis have two-one for preheat and one for coach heat.  However, the bottom line is that two things have to happen for the Hurricane to utilize engine heat as it goes down the road:

• The Hurricane's circulating pump has to be running so fluid circulates through both the engine heat exchanger and the heat registers in the coach
  • One or both thermostats have to be in the Furnace position and heat has to be called for.  This causes the circulating fans to run so heat in the system can be transferred to the air in the coach.

We usually turn off the Hurricane's master switch while we drive although I don't think that's mandatory.  However, we often have flameouts if the Hurricane tries to light while we're moving at high speed.

Mary and Mike Boone

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
Under the bed they were!   Thanks for all the info.   Helps to have clarification on the process.

Mary