Author Topic: Strange Sound From Under Dash  (Read 4144 times)

steve zannella

Strange Sound From Under Dash
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
I hear a strange sound coming from under my dash. It sounds a like burping or flatulence. The sound can be reproduced by adjusting the temperature on the dash air conditioning. The sound can happen at anytime with or without the ignition on. It really disturbs people sleeping in the forward portion of the coach. What is it and how can I turn it off?

Larry and Heidi Lee

Re: Strange Sound From Under Dash
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
Would a really low radiator coolant level create air pockets in the system resulting in a boiling condition that takes hours to dissapate? Just guessing here...

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »
I don't think it's coolant related because the sound occurs for weeks after camping, it almost sounds like air or vacuum being released, is the dash temperature controlled by vacuum or air pressure? If it is this would explain the sound but why would it continue when the coach is camped?  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:23 AM »
Steve,
It sounds like you are talking about a noisy 12 volt vacuum pump. The dash A/C system in your coach uses vacuum to operate the doors in the system. When the vacuum in the system drops due to a slight leak or a commanded door movement, the pump turns on to replenish the vacuum supply. The vacuum pump is located on the firewall (accessible from under the coach, between the dash and front cap). You can identify it by adjusting the A/C unit to make it come on and feeling for a black cylindrical unit that is 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter and 6 to 8 inches in length.

There is one strange thing if the vacuum pump is your noise. The vacuum pump is normally wired through the ignition switch, and therefore it should not run unless the ignition switch is in the run position. If the vacuum pump is the noise and it is supplying adequate vacuum, but it is a little noisy you can just rewire it through the ignition switch so that it only runs when the engine is running so the noise will not be as noticeable. Even if you replace the pump, I would still wire it through the ignition switch.

The only other thing that I can think of that could be as noisy as your complaint is the electric air compressor for the air leveling system if your coach is so equipped, however it only runs when the air leveling system is turned on.

So in reality I can not think of anything that totally matches your complaint unless your vacuum is wired incorrectly. Unplug the vacuum pump and compressor (if equipped) one at a time to verify the noisy unit. If the leveling system air compressor is the source of your noise, repair the suspension and leveling system air leaks.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:59:32 AM by 14 »

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Gerald,
thanks for the update as you state I think its' the vacuum pump because I can force the sound by moving the temp knob on the A/C. It also must be wired incorrectly as it happens when the ignition is off. I've been in the firewall area before to charge the A/C refrigerant and didn't feel comfortable doing it. I'm claustrophobic! Is there away to identify the power feed in the 12 volt bay and change the feed to switched? Most of the 12 volt wires have identification printed on them.

Steve

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Steve,
I do not know exactly were the power feed for the vacuum pump is located at in the LF electrical bay, so I can not be of much help in locating the wiring. However, before I condemned the vacuum pump as the source of your noise, I would unplug the power lead at the pump to verify that it is the problem. If the close quarters bothers you, recruit a skinny friend.

Gerald