Author Topic: ABS/ATC System Caution Lights On?  (Read 5555 times)

Bill Brown

ABS/ATC System Caution Lights On?
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
[size=14][/size]Hello all, I encountered a problem yesterday that is new to me.  While re-positioning our 06 Monterey, my ABS & ATC caution lights came on.  I had moved the coach about a week prior, for some work to be accomplished in our driveway.  When moving the coach back into its normal parking spot, I noticed the two caution lights had come on while backing onto the pad.  Is this something I should be concerned about, and need looked at by a Bendix person; or is it something that can happen due to the short travel distance and no speeds above a crawl?  

I did try a search of past ABS/ATC questions and had only one hit, which mentions the speed related possibility.  I could not see what the question had been to generate the response, though.  

Bill Brown
06 Monterey, Laguna IV,
C-9

Gerald Farris

Re: ABS/ATC System Caution Lights On?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
Bill,
An ABS (anti-lock brake system) or ATC (automatic traction control) light is usually a problem with a wheel speed sensor. Did any of the work that you had performed occur in the wheel well area were a sensor might have been unplugged or damaged? If not and the light stays on after you drive it for four drive cycles (a drive cycle is starting cold and driving to operating temperature before turning off), you will need to have the system serviced.

The coach is not unsafe to drive with the ABS light on with the exception of the fact that the brakes can lock-up on hard stops since the ABS system is inoperative with the light on.

Gerald  

Bill Brown

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »
Gerald,
Thanks for getting back to me.  No we had no work performed on the coach at all.  When I went to move the coach, the parking brake may not have initially unlocked & I fed fuel to the engine.  It's possible I may have done something at that time, while trying to move forward?  Otherwise.  I started the engine, moved the coach approximately a block.  Backed it into its space.  After the driveway work was finished, I reversed the process.    So will wait to drive for a ways to see, what happens.

Thanks again.  Will let you know what happens in a month or so when we are able to take the coach out.

Bill
06 Monterey
C-9

Louis Williams

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:51:28 AM »
[size=14][/size]I have the same coach as you. At times mine does the same thing. I have learned to ignore the lights, drive the coach for several miles, then shut it down for just a few minutes and upon restart the caution light go away.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:57:28 AM »
I have an '05 and do the same as Louis.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:19:00 AM by 14 »
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
Louis/Jim,
Thanks for the info.  We've had our coach about two years, and this is the first time we've had the problem.  Will hope the problem is just a passing fancy.
Bill
06 Monterey
C-9