Author Topic: '98 Contessa tilts  (Read 7876 times)

Bryan Quinn

'98 Contessa tilts
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a newby here, recently purchased a 1998 Beaver Contessa Naples, w/ 90k  miles.  After I park it in the level garage for a few days, the front left corner drops significantly.  When I start the coach, it doesn't raise up, not till I drive it.  When constantly driving, it seems fine.  I've tried dumping the air bags when parked, and when it airs up, the front left still sags till I drive it for a short distance.  Any help/advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.  

Bryan

Gerald Farris

Re: '98 Contessa tilts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
Bryan,
First, welcome to the club. You apparently have several issues that you are dealing with.

The first issue is an apparent suspension air leak. You said that the coach drops on the LF corner after a few days. If you mean that it drops after 1 to 3 days, you can probably locate the leak with soapy water and repair it. If you mean that it drops after 10 to 14 days, the leak probably will not be worth the time and effort to locate it.

The issue of the coach needing to be driven to return to level is unusual if you are waiting for the coach air system to completely pressurize before you start driving. The coach should re-level itself within two or three minutes after the coach reaches full air pressure. If it will not re-level in this length of time, you probably have a sticky height sensor or air control valve.

If your coach has the normal height sensor configuration of one front and two rear sensors, I would suspect the RR sensor or valve. However SMC Corporation (the maker of your coach) used two front and one rear sensor on several coaches in the mid to late nineties, and if your coach has this configuration, the LF sensor or valve is suspect.

Some questions, does your coach have air leveling, or just hydraulic leveling? Also if you level the coach, what changes do you notice in the LF being low when you start to drive?

Gerald  

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:34:47 AM »
Bryan, Gerald:
I don't know if this will help, but I have the same coach.

On my '98 Contessa, the performance of the front air bags is this:  If I dump air the front lowers all the way down.  The rear takes quite a while longer to go right down.  When I air up, the front comes up last, by quite a while.  So much later that I have actually driven off once before it was all the way up.  It did rise the rest of the way within a short while after starting up.  If I don't dump, the whole coach will sink overnight, or faster.
I had an air leak that was audible, at the air reservoir.  Until I fixed that leak, the rear never went down (or perhaps, it never came up? It seemed to be full height, and that height hasn't changed). I wanted to know how much the trailer hitch went down, so I meaasured, and at the hitch, there was no movement. Now, with the leak fixed, it goes down so the bottom of the mud guard touches the ground, about 3", but when I looked at the bags, they seemed fully deflated.
Levelling is by hydraulic jacks, 1 in front, 2 in rear.

If this issue needs further investigation, I'll be back at the coach in a couple of weeks, so can take measurements properly then.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:01:54 AM by 14 »

Bryan Quinn

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the input Gerald and Keith

Gerald, to answer your questions, my coach has hydraulic leveling.  We went for a overnight camp trip last night to our local state park, I parked on the site, did not dump the air bags, leveled the coach with the hydraulic levelers.  This morning when we left, I returned the hydraulic jacks to travel position, and the entire coach leaned significantly to the driver side.  As I started the coach, I noticed that the air pressure gauge was down to 70 lbs or so (it normally runs at nearly 120).  I let the coach idle for about 5 minutes, and it never leveled out before we left the campsite.  About a half mile down the road, I stopped to check the level, and it was back to level.  

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Bryan

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:27 AM »
Bryan,
The air suspension on your coach is leaking faster than I would be comfortable with. I would try to locate and repair the suspension air leak (leaks) first. If you repair the air suspension leak, the slow reacting height sensor or control valve may not be of enough concern to warrant further repairs.

Gerald    

Bryan Quinn

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
Hi Gerald,

I've never been under the motorhome looking at the air suspension; what should I expect, or look for, when searching for the air leak?  I am fairly mechanically inclined, with some automotive experience under my belt, so I'm sure I can handle it.  I'm assuming that I am looking for an air line(s) running to air bag(s), simple as that?  

Also, my air pressure gauge reads nearly 120 psi when operating, is that normal?  

Bryan

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »
Bryan,

The customary safety issues exist with air suspension work. If you are unsure of a leak source and have some searching, possible adjusting, and general poking around to do the coach should be supported by blocking or your hydraulic rams. It would be best to maintain the coach weight on the aired up suspension for leak checking so you do not want the hydraulic leveling to lift the coach enough to shut off the air leveling valves but if the coach was to fall (lose air) you want them in a position to take over.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
Bryan,
Yes that is pretty much it as far as the air suspension is concerned. There are also the control valves, however they very rarely are the the cause of a leak. Air line connections are the cause of leaks probably 95% of the time. As for the air system maintaining 120 PSI, the engine driven air compressor has a large enough volume to over come most normally occurring leaks while maintaining a large safety margin.

The easiest way to locate an air leak is the use of a spray bottle with soapy water to spray the connections and look for bubbles. A word of caution, if you are going to work on this problem yourself, be sure to use adequate safety measures and appropriate safety stands (your leveling jacks are not apporved safety stands although they are sometimes used). If you try to tighten a line and break the line or connecter, the coach will drop to the axle and compress (squash) anything that is under it, including you.

Be Safe
Gerald
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:35:59 PM by 235 »

Bryan Quinn

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:44:57 AM »
Thank you Gerald and Ed for your input.  I won't be able to get to looking at it for a few day, but will let you know my results.  

Bryan