Author Topic: Making new changes to motorhome  (Read 11719 times)

Michael Marcocchio

Making new changes to motorhome
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
Hello well I just got back to Canada with my new to me used Beaver Patroit Thunder from Angloa Ind where I bought this Beaver. What a well built unit solid wood doors and cupboards.  I am very impressed. This in my first MH, been a 5th wheel owner for the past 10 years.  It is a completely different way to travel, and in such style. We are now working to set it up to our standards upstairs for the wife, me in the storage bays.  We had the dealer do some upgrades for us, like replace the living room carpet with laminate, remove the two burner cook top with a 3 burner one, remove washer and dryer, and have the cupboard converted to all storage, and an extra counter added to the end of the kitchen counter for more cooking space.  As a diesel mechanic, for me a must was a screen to protect that new costly rad.  Found some great plate screening heavy duty which I cover the complele opening to the rad, to protect it from stones bugs leaves and all kinda junk that get sucked in from the fan.  I love it if I knew how to post picture.  I would show you all, but for now words will have to do.  Thanks to be able to share.

Michael & Gail
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:53:13 AM by 14 »

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

Re: Making new changes to motorhome
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:21 AM »
Welcome Michael and Gail.

Your idea of having a screen over the radiator should be of interest to folks, considering a trek to Alaska.  Posting a picture would be a good thing.

I might even reconsider another trip to AK, if I had a radiator screen to protect it from the "road sealing gravel" and other Alcan road maintenance issues....

During my last trip in '04 I stopped in Tok, Ak for a fuel filter change. The shop guy and I were talking about radiator issues on the road.  He said his shop had repaired 120 radiators so far that year.  And I was talking with him the first week in Aug.

A good source of income that would be................
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:39:22 PM by 14 »

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:05:35 AM »
Hello if I knew how to post picture I surely would I have tried be4 and they were all to large

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
The photo question. This is an option using what is within Windows 7...Open a picture in windows by clicking on it. There should be an edit, organize, and share option or something similar. In my case I am using windows live photo gallery. Click on the edit, organize, and share option in the header. That will open a new program and you will again highlight the photo you want by clicking on it. Click on properties in the header, then click on resize. A box will open to select a size. Click on small as an option, then click on resize and save. That will create a duplicate photo of the original that is a smaller file size and image. When using the forum you will browse and find the photo you resized in the folder that you used. You will click on the photo that is a duplicate which will have a file size in the footer of 800x690, that is the one you want. You may or may not have the exact same software but in general the method should be similar.

Another option may be to use an email program and send the photo to yourself if the email program has an option to resize it. When you receive the email, click on the photo and save it in a location you can find it. This will probably work best if you send the photo file as an attachment. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

David Lynch

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
Welcome

This is a great site.  Congrats on your new Patriot.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:29:09 AM »
You can always email me your photos and I can resize them for you.

Glenda 8)

Jeff Watt

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 04:51:10 AM »
After reading Michael and then Phi's comments re. a radiator screen, I began to think it might be a good idea as I am heading to Alaska in a week.

I contacted Michael and he provided me with ideas.... turns out I had a similar screen sitting around the farm yard - granted a little rusty but nothing a little tremclad can't fix.

I have attached a few photos, the first is just of the side to see the venting. The others are of the install. I placed one piece of screen behind the wheel as the heavy rubber, while still mostly intact, had obviously experienced some attacks. The screen along the bottom was attached to the aluminum cross bar and then the bolts under the fan where used as retainers. I hope the last picture is viewable where the screen can be seen mounted - it was screwed onto the rad cover (first picture).  I did learn that while taking the rad cover off is pretty simple, I did have to enlist help to put it back in place - pretty heavy to balance and put back into the slot by ones self.

Jeff

ps. good time to rinse off the rad - that's the marks on the cement under the first picture. Used some simple green, let it soak for a bit then garden hose.

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:20:03 AM »
In addition to what you have, and as important, a screen around the *inside* fan cowling area would be a good thing to have. Small gravel from road sealing and other road maintenance could get inside the fan area toward the radiator. Gravel would then bounce around between the fan and radiator and possibily damage the radiator due to increased velocity from the fan rotation......

Just a conversation with the Tok radiator fix-it guy...........makes sense....

Another option: drive really slow (speed limit) to prevent gravel from being kicked up into the radiator area. We did that and had no gravel problems.

But we did have other issues..

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
Hello Jeff did the same screen install as mine so his picture would be the same as mine lol Good job Jeff.

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:45 AM »
Hello Just a update after our first year with our new Beaver just love it. After our Sept trip to N M, we took the unit back to Panterra Coach in Angola for some updates.  We had the rest of carpets removed including the slides and replace with laminate, the sofa removed and a electric fireplace installed in its place with a built in bench, the rugs replaced in the bedroom. Outside we had docking lights installed both sides, front and back. We are getting quote to have the 3 slide toppers window shade combo replaced with 3 seperate slide toppers and seperate window shades plus a new rear mud flap.  If I knew how to send pictures, I would post them on here.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:34:58 PM by 14 »

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
Michael,

When you finish typing your post, there is an option that says..."attach files". If you know where the picture you want to attach is on your computer, click "browse" and navigate to that file. Click on the picture and you're good to go...unless...the picture size exceeds the allowable limit here. To solve that problem, before you post, go to the picture and "resize" it to 640 x 420 or close to it, and then follow the instructions above. If you need help with re-sizing, just ask.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

barbhalsell

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:30:57 AM »
Under quick reply you have to click " more post options ".

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
Hello another update got the new mudflap and Beaver Logo installed looks great also having all the slide toppers replaced mine are toppers and window shade type (UGLY ) combo. Now seperate toppers only and seperate window shades only looks better and gives the coach a neater look than the factory installed slide toppers window shade combo.