Author Topic: Need Info  (Read 4142 times)

Tom Kaye

Need Info
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »
Well that didn't take long. My wife and I are new members having just bought a 2009 Beaver Monterey Sunset. We have been RV-ing for a number of years but this is our first Beaver. So far we are very happy with the coach but I this past weekend when we took it for a test run I noticed that there was a yellow warning light on the dash as we passed through customs into upstate New York. The owners manual says the light indicates that the exhaust is burning out soot that builds up and that there is a fire warning as the exhaust gets super heated to do so. The manual says this only occurs when you are going a slow speed and the system needs to regenerate and that it is a normal function. My question is the system seems to be coming on a lot and I was wondering if that is normal? Every time I seem to be pulling in for fuel or at Walmart etc the system comes on. Is it normal for it to run that often? Thanks for any info. Tom

Gerald Farris

Re: Need Info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
Tom,
The DPF (diesel particulate filter) system is computer controlled, and it uses sensors in the muffler the read the amount of backpressure in the exhaust system to determine when the regenerative process is needed. Your driving style and driving conditions will alter the frequency the the DPF system will need to regenerate.

Gerald

Tim Westman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
Tom,

Just to add to Gerald's comment, try to let the engine idle until the regeneration process is complete and the light goes out.  If not it is likely that it will just try to regenerate again in a few miles.

Tim

Tom Kaye

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Thanks for the info. Sounds like its working the way its supposed to, so I won't worry about it unless there are other lights coming on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:52:07 AM by 14 »