Author Topic: Alpine radio and backup camera display  (Read 8690 times)

Richard Cooper

Alpine radio and backup camera display
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »
I have a 2001 Marquis 40JSP and it came with the Alpine radio and fold out display for the backup camera.  It's got a remote control.  The display is color for the rear camera.  I'm not too happy with it, but perhaps I have it configured wrong.

First, does anyone have a manual on PDF for this Alpine?

Second, has anyone upgraded theirs to something that gives a much better and clearer view of the rear --- perhaps even adjustable complete with side cameras?  What do you recommend?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Alpine radio and backup camera display
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »
I upgraded my Alpine system with a Kenwood KVT-514 with GREAT results...  Better everything, bigger image from original rear camera, and touch screen for easier setup and control.  Plays DVD, music inputs include USB, iPod, Sirius/XM and more.  Installation was not difficult but did take a little time.  More time to take old Alpine out then putting the Kenwood in place.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Richard Cooper

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:10 AM »
They don't make the KVT-514 anymore.  Any suggestions?  Is the camera in the rear going to be adequate?  I am getting a white vertical line in the middle of my screen when the sun glares into the rear of my coach.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »
Richard,

The vertical light bar is an image sensor overload that is a common problem with these cameras. In order to have lower light sensitivity the image sensor has to be pretty sensitive. I have lived with that light bar problem also and it can be annoying. I am not sure but what a new system would have the same issue. These cameras have decent imaging especially when the camera window is kept clean.

I have never tried this but it would be interesting to park with that reflective light overload (usually from the windshield or chrome) and take various tints of window film and see if there is one that would darken the image enough to stop the banding and yet allow adequate brightness overall. This may impair the night vision but I seldom travel at night. I would just tape over a piece of quite dark tint to see what happens to try it out.

Later Ed

Richard Cooper

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
What if one just replaced the camera too -- especially one of those which could be controlled at the driver seat with a toggle as there are times I would like different views as well as zoom.

Has anyone done this?

Richard Cooper

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
Has anyone replaced their rear built-in camera with any success?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 03:12:36 AM »
Richard,
The back-up camera in your coach is a high quality camera. The most common problem with it is a dirty lens in the rear cap, or a bad connection in the cable, usually at the camera. The dirty lens problem can be on the inside between the camera and the cap, or it can be on the outside. So you should check out the easy repairs, before you just replace the camera.

Gerald
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:54:53 AM by 14 »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »
I have replaced my camera with same brand and style.  Turned out the original camera was fine, but the video connector was not.  In my case the head/display unit made all the difference in the world.  There are several brands and models that would work well in a MH installation.  Just make sure the rear view camera mode can stay active during forward motion.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Richard Cooper

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
My dealer in Florida realized when they were trying to sell my Marquis that the display unit --- Alpine combo dvd/radio/fold out monitor --- did not come out and would not work.  They found one exactly like it on Ebay (used) and installed it.  It works ok I guess -- I'm just not happy with the clarity of the display particularly when the sun is bearing down on the camera.  In that case --- besides glare that makes visibility difficult there is a white vertical line (that somebody else earlier in this thread explained).  

Yes, I am very much interested in a replacement display and it would be nice if the display was larger than the one I have.

My display does not come on automatically.  You have to work 2 different toggle switches at the drivers side --- below the arm rest where other switches are.  Plus, you have to turn the display on.  I leave mine out all the time and not folded up inside.  I never use the dvd or radio aspect of it.

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
Just finished replacing my entire backup camera/ monitor system about a month ago, some one had replaced the original alpine double din stereo/monitor with a later model Clarion, wich would not allow you to view video with out toggling a switch on the dash, and had no reverse trigger for the camera, anyway decided to upgrade the whole system, left the clarion in place and mounted an awesome color flat screen 7'' monitor to the right hand side of the dash, it is a voyager that I found at Northwest RVsupplies for $250.00 new in the box, then I called up the great people at RV Cams and ordered a refurbished voyager color tilt camera, for about $100.00 and a 65 foot patch cord for $ 30.00, removed the old camera through the access panel in the rear closet ( this is a 2000 marquis jasper , by the way ) cut a hole through the back cap to push the new camera through , altered the original bracket to facilitate the new cam , sealed  it with silicone on the outside, ran the cable down the frame rail all the way to the dash ( two man job , not easy ) wired up the monitor to the electrical bay, fired it up and now I have night vision as well as tilt, which is awesome for hooking up a trailer, the monitor is also capable of imputting 3 more cameras .
if any one is interested I can take some photos and post them, the extra monitor actually looks realy cool, I hate drilling holes in a pristine dashboard, but there had been something mounted in this location previously anyway.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 03:52:02 AM »
I would love to see pictures.  Thanks!