Author Topic: Another Electrical Problem  (Read 3818 times)

Don Hircock

Another Electrical Problem
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »
Came from Davis cabinet yesterday to a friends in Lebanon and plugged into her 30 amp.  Was up this morning and all power shut down.  Looked at my Xantrex RS2000 monitor and it said low battery.  Do the normal things and check  shore power.  Power is up and running from plug in.  Turn breaker off and back on and get the normal good sounding poof from the Surge Guard model 40250.  Fire up generator and all works just as it should and put some charge into the batteries.  Rebooted Xantrex still nothing on shore power.  I know nothing about electricity except how to plug something in and push the on button.  Could this be the auto transfer switch with a problem or maybe the power reel connection?  Have heard of those items giving a problem.  Another repair stop for us I'm quite certain.  Would be nice to get a month in without any problems.  Hi spot is some changes to coach at Davis Cabinets.

Gerald Farris

Re: Another Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Don,
The only way to properly diagnose your electrical problem is to take a voltmeter and start checking circuits. First check the shore power plug to make sure that the neutral and power wires are not reversed. Next check your 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. If you have a spare adapter, you can just try the other adapter to see if this repairs your problem, since they have a high failure rate. However since you said that you heard the Surge Guard activate, this probably is not your problem.  

Since your Surge Guard and transfer switch is a combined unit, I would start by checking the incoming voltage between the hot leads and the neutral lead at the Surge Guard. You should also check between the neutral leg and the ground wire to make sure that there is no incoming voltage on the neutral leg. If the incoming voltage checks out OK, your power cord reel, 30 to 50 adapter, and power cord are OK.

Next check the voltage on the output legs of the Surge Guard in the same manner that you checked the input voltage. There will be no need to go any farther, because you have operating voltage in the coach from the generator, so everything after the Surge Guard transfer switch is OK.

Gerald      

Don Hircock

Re: Another Electrical Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 05:21:32 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for your reply.  This turned out to be an easy diagnosis.  Pulled the cover off the surge guard and there was a fried wire.  Black wire equals bad part to me.  Called a mobile person that was highly recommended to me and he was out to Premier RV here in Eugene on Monday.  Confirmed and had the part ordered in and installed on Tuesday.  All feels and looks good.  Wed eve we were going out for my birthday and eat some sea food.  Put down the awning and it moved very slow.  Tried to put back up and it wouldn't go.  Checked the Xantrex and it said low battery.  Oh joy!!  Called person who put in transfer switch and without being there thought it was the inverter.  Came over to Monaco this morning at 7:30 and they said to bring the coach on in.  They diagnosed the problem to be the inverter.  A new Magnum is installed and operating and those batteries are loving it.  They have to run a new wire for the remote in the morning but should be able to get out of here and to Lincoln City for the kite festival this weekend as we had planned.  Good news is that the extended warranty is going to pay most of it and with no hassle.   That's amazing and a first for them.  Refrigerator, transfer switch, now inverter.  That's three, I should be good for awhile.  Oh, we made it out to McGrath's tonight and had a great meal.

Don