Author Topic: plugging in at the stick house  (Read 8903 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
plugging in at the stick house
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:50:26 AM »
I'm new here. I really appreciate the help and expertise. Here is my first question.

When we brought the Monteresy home, I stepped down the 50 amp plug to a 30 amp, and then stepped that down to a regular household 120 plug. I plugged it in to the garage the same as I did my previous coach, a HR Endeavor. When I checked to see if I had power, I heard a strange clicking noise. My investigation revealed that noise was coming from the Xantrex panel in the cabinet above the entry door. A red light would come on, indicating it "was on" (??) and a few seconds later, with a "click" it would go off. While it was on, the micro wave flashed how good Sharp was, and my electric razor indicated it was charging. It was on/off, on/off...each cycle lasting 5 or 6 seconds.

When I plugged in the Endeavor, my house batteries charged, and I was able to start the refrigerator a couple of days prior to a trip. Any idea what's happening? Will it harm anything if I leave it plugged in?

Any suggestions would be welcome, Thanks.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

Re: plugging in at the stick house
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »
Stan,

Sounds like the 20 amp circuit is not supplying enough current and the panel is turning off the Xantrex and then trying to restart. You can try and charge the batteries with an external charger to be sure they are charged up, that will cut the charge demand. You should turn off all AC breakers that you do not need. Maybe leave just the inverter/charger and frig on once the batteries are charged. A 20 amp circuit is enough to run the charger if it is just maintaining a charged bank. Maybe tme for a 30 or 50 amp circuit to be added.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »
Stan,
What you have going on is not good. From your description it sounds like you are drawing to many amps for the circuit, and therefore the voltage at the coach is below minimum specifications. If you turn off the inverter battery charging function and the problem stops, then that is probably what is happening. If so you will need to let the solar panels charge the batteries or reduce the inverter charge rate if it is adjustable.  

If that is not the problem, I will need more information to help you diagnose the problem. Like what is the incoming voltage and how many amps are you using. This information can be read from the Aladdin system. The next thing is are you sure that you do not have voltage on the neutral or ground leads in the plug that you are using.

If your HR was a few years older than your Monterey, it did not have the sophisticated Surge Guard transfer switch that your Monterey is equipped with, and that may be what is interrupting your incoming power if you have low voltage or "dirty" power.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:53:06 PM »
Ed,

The idea of adding a new circuit at home is a good one. Thank you.

Gerald,

I unplugged it, thank you. Until I can add a new circuit, I'll just let the solar panel do the charging. I will check the Aladdin system and report back.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
I have a 30 amp circuit at my house and it is fine for everything I need unless you want to run two roof air conditioners. It is less expensive and a bit easier to wire in than a 50amp circuit.

Later Ed

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
We also have a 30 amp circuit and it works fine. We also have used 20 amps with no problem using proper power management. Be sure you have turned off all non essential power drains including engine block heat and Aqua Hot electric element.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »
20A should work just fine.  A couple of things to check would be wiring connections as it almost sounds like a low voltage issue under load.  Another think would be the power sharing.  Mine works best if I set it to 15A when plugged into the house.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »
Stan, I would be very careful about using anything less than a dedicated 30 amp circuit, and if you are going to have to add a circuit anyway, why not go ahead and run 50 amp? The last time i hooked up to 30 amps, in Florida, in August, the circuit was weak and did considerable damage to some of my electrical systems. I guess 30 would be okay if you only plan to run the charger and refer off the circuit, but don't try the A/C's.

Joe Vanni

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
Hi Stan,
I had the same problem and found that the autoload sitting on the Xantrex control panel was seaking and would flash on and off.  I set it to manual and checked the AC load to be sure I was in a safe zone on voltage.  I perfer to manually select my use, so I've kept in the the manual mode and haven't had any problem.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 05:35:27 AM »
Joe,

I'm a rookie with this coach...still reading manuals. How do I set the Xantrex control panel to manual?

Thank you,

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Joe,

I'm a rookie with this coach...still reading manuals. How do I set the Xantrex control panel to manual?

Thank you,

Stan
Stan,

If your '05 has the same Xantrex and Trace RC7 GS control panel as my '04, I might be able to help.  There are a lot of settings that are intended to make it work in a range of applications from and ambulance to an off grid cabin in the woods.  Motorhomes are somewhere in the middle.  

I would be happy to get on the cell phone with you and, with me in front of mine and you in front of yours, "coach" you through the settings.  

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:31 AM »
Bill,

That's a great offer! I should be home this weekend. I'm in Northern IL, 2 hours difference from you. I'd be availabe in the a. m. either day. Just name a time, and tell me how to PM you with my cell.

Thanks,

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Bill,

That's a great offer! I should be home this weekend. I'm in Northern IL, 2 hours difference from you. I'd be availabe in the a. m. either day. Just name a time, and tell me how to PM you with my cell.

Thanks,

Stan
I emailed you my phone number.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
I met Stan on the phone this morning.  Unfortunately his control panel is different than mine.  I was not able to help him.   Maybe someone else can.