Author Topic: Good news from Girard  (Read 4765 times)

Joel Weiss

Good news from Girard
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
Last year I had to replace the wind sensor for my Girard awning because one of the little anemometer "cups" had broken off and Girard didn't sell the plastic part by itself.  My sensor was replaced with one of the newer style with the "s-shaped" spinner instead of cups.  Yesterday I had a close encounter with a tree and the spinner is now missing.  It turns out that Girard does sell the s-shaped spinner as a separate part and I don't have to buy another $100+ sensor.  Cost of the spinner is $30.  Score one for Girard!

John Harris

• BAC Member
Re: Good news from Girard
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »
What was the cost of the complete sensor and spinner to convert it? Is the $30 just for the spinner?
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:39 AM »
Yes, the $30 is just the spinner for the new model sensor.  I think I paid ~$125 last year for the replacement sensor.  My understanding is that they didn't design the earlier version with replacement in mind so there is no easy way to remove the plastic spinner from the shaft.  I guess no one ever figured RV's would encounter large obstacles 12 feet in the air!
The following users thanked this post: Brian Sexton, Robert Fish

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »
just finished retrofitting the new anonometer with the ''s'' style cups , got it direct from Girard for about $ 130.00 ( simple install ) worked awesome for about two weeks , untill one day without me hitting anything the top part was gone, just a threaded shaft sitting there, called Girard and told them what happened, and they told me no problem we will ship you another one, get this, for free and they payed the shipping, no less, ( to canada) they just told me to put some lock tight on it this time. gotta love suppliers like that

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
Wish I had a Girard, I have not found Careefree to be so accomodating. Their Tech support needs some customer care training.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine