Author Topic: Generator Problem, Clicks - won't start  (Read 7219 times)

Bryan Quinn

Generator Problem, Clicks - won't start
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »
Hi all,

The generator in my '98 Contessa was working just fine till this  morning.  It's an Onan Marquis 6500 LP.  It will not start.  When I try to start it, it just makes one click at the generator.  This is the same whether trying to start it from the generator or from the remote switch on the dash.  The propane tank is at 1/2 to 3/4 full.  Has anyone experienced something similar?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Bryan

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Generator Problem, Clicks - won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »
Bryan,

Just some questions.

Is your propane gauge accurate?  Is really 1/2 full?  Do other appliances in the coach work on propane?

Is the Propane valve turned on at the tank?

Did the propane sensor inside the coach trip from some odor it did not like?  Try to reset it.

Not much help, but a memory jogger.

Larry

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Sounds like either a bad battery connection, weak battery or your starter solenoid is bad.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »
If my car does that, I assume it is only getting enough amps for the starter solenoid to close making a click, but not enough to for the starter motor to work.  The reason would be a nearly dead battery or corrosion on terminals.  

Good luck.

(On edit:  Looks like Robert beat me by a minute!)

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Bryan,
I agree with Robert and Bill, in that your problem sounds like a low voltage problem to the generator starter motor, or a bad starter. Since your generator starter should be using the chassis batteries as a power source, if the coach engine starts OK, you can assume that it is not a battery problem. If so check the voltage at the positive battery cable at the starter. If that is good check the ground. If it is good, check the starter.

Gerald

Bryan Quinn

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »
An update on my "generator not starting" problem; it turns out it was the starter that was bad.  Thanks to all for your input!