Author Topic: Engine door flips up while driving  (Read 5678 times)

Richard Cooper

Engine door flips up while driving
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
I'm having trouble with keeping the engine access door on the rear of the coach secure.  I have the key to it and I push in and turn it to the right.  It seems to be secure, but I get down the road and in 10 minutes the darn thing flips up again.  I do not have a ladder on the back of my 2001 Marquis 40JSP.

It's aggravating as I never know when it's going to pop up.  It partially blocks the camera view of my tow bars.  Cars or trucks passing motion to me or honk their horns to alert me which confuses me as maybe they are trying to tell me something else entirely.

When I leave my campground I think I will duct tape it shut to be sure.  Will look bad.  I have no idea how to adjust the locks --- one on each side.

Bill Sprague

Re: Engine door flips up while driving
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »
I've never looked at the locks on your version of a Beaver.  My locks are rotating pieces of bent and bendable metal.  When new, one was bent in a way that it would not fully rotate.  A little bending with pliers fixed it.  

Compare how far the locks rotate while open and see if they do the same when closed.  If not, do some adjusting.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
If your locks are the same tubular ones that I have for that compartment, it is possible for the key to wear to the point where it isn't really fully turning the lock.  I had that happen to mine.   It would seem to turn properly if I tried it with the door open, but the extra friction created when the door was closed prevented the latch from fully turning to the engaged position.  A replacement key from BCS solved that problem.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
Be careful of duct tape as it may remove the finish clear coat. It is a very strong adhesive not meant for painted finishes. If I could not secure the door effectively by bending he latching metal so it had a bit more friction, then I would try and find a way to use a velcro strap temporarily run through something secure on the inside (nearby frame maybe) and one of the hatch vent slots. There may also be adjustable stops that set the door closure position that may provide more latch friction if adjusted outwards a bit. There should be a way to make this work properly fairly quickly.

Late Ed

Frank Bannert

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
I  WOULD CHECK THE LITTLE LIP IN THE REAR OF THE COACH . THEY MAY BE  LITTLE SHORT AND WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY TO LOCK THEM THEY LOCK BUT COME LOOSE WHEN DRIVING.  I WOULD GO TO A HARDWARE STORE AND BUY SOME SMALL PIECES OF METAL THE SIZE THAT ARE THERE AND DRILL A COUPLE OF HOLES IN THEM AND BEND TO FIT ONLY LITTLE LONGER THE SIDE GOING UP. THEY ARE PROBALY WORKING LOOSE DUE TO VIBERATION AND THE GAS SHOCKS ARE RAISING THEM UP. IF NO RIVETS ARE AVIALABLE USE SMALL MACHINE SCREWS. THE BOTTOM PART OF WHICH THE LITTLE LIPS ARE ATTACHED IS FIBERGLASS AS IT IS NOT REAL STRONG TO KEEP IT FROM VIBRATING. WHICH CUASE THEM TO RELEASE.

FRANK

Richard Cooper

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »
The rv repairman that resides in my park says he wants me to go get him a piece of aluminum flat stock that is 2 inches wide and at least 1/8 inch thick.  He said I may end up having to buy a foot or two of it.  He thinks the door is raised too high on the right side and he wants to install this in the hinge -- he can do rivets.  He thinks the problem is that the rotating bent metal is not catching because the lid is up too high.  When the door is shut it does not line up with the curve in the lid and the motor coach body.  He can slip his finger under the right side and cannot on the left.  

It's very annoying.  I got to get a fix and he said it would be something he could do fairly easily.  Looks difficult to me, but then a tax return looks difficult to others.

What do you think?

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:06:41 AM »
Richard,

Seems like the repairman has analyzed the problem and has a solution.  Is seems reasonable.

Larry

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
This afternoon I got my engine door repaired as said above with method explained.  He cut the aluminum flat stock into several pieces that match the size of the inside hinge plate.  He drilled out the rivets in the original hinge.  He installed along with the original hinge 2 additional plates each of 1/8 inch thickness and 2 inch width and securing with new rivets.  He added one additional plate to the other side after we examined the work (I did help!!!!  8) ) and saw the need for adjustment on the left side.  He also adjusted the right side rubber bumper thing (isn't this what non mechanical minded people call it --- a thing?  :K) ).  

Now I can lock the darn thing and I know now it won't come loose.  

Here's the killer.  I never asked his hourly rate --- he's a workamper -- isn't that what's it's called?  A nice guy whose forte is actually working on big boats.....pleasure craft.  Nice guy.  After working for me 1-1/2 hours on this job I asked how much ---- he said $25.  I said, you are joking, right?  No, he was serious.  He said that a lot of campers don't have money to pay and he gives away a lot of his time.  You know, this really is a good world we live in as long as we come across the good people in it.  I wrote him a check for several times that as I was expecting to pay lots more --- in fact, I was scared he was going to say $150.  I did supply the material.  But I am happy.

Here are some pics --- sorry, have no before ones.  You can clearly see the work and it's not that pretty from the outside, but it does the trick.  And, it's quite obvious the previous owner did some weird things to correct it and never did.  He never tried this guy's method.  Camping World is only 4 miles from here and I'm not sure they would know how to fix it.  But, up close, again, you can see the stacked plates.  But a car behind me would never see it.  I'm told that fiberglass changes shape after time --- 11 years for this coach.  It was probably right when it was new, but things changed.