Author Topic: Hurricane - Water pump error  (Read 3821 times)

Charles Wilson

Hurricane - Water pump error
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
Hi All:

My Hurricane systems fires up for about 3 seconds then shuts-down, it will repeat this cycle a few times then nothing.

On the control panel there is a Water Pump Error light illuminated.  I pulled the circulating pump and it works great.

Also the Anti-freeze in my system is green just like automotive anti-freeze, is this correct? I would have thought it would be the Pink RV antifreeze you use when winterizing.

Any thoughts or Ideas?

Thanks,
Charley

2000 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga.

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Hurricane - Water pump error
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
Green is good....pinko contains no lubricants.  Probably a circuit board (PC) problem stopping the water pump. Check if it runs when you switch "Coach Heat" on .My switch is left of drivers seat. This is directly wired to the pump.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
Let's start with the easy part first; all the heat exchangers in the Hurricane system and the Seaward hot water tank are dual-wall which means it is safe to use regular antifreeze since there is no chance of contamination of potable water.  You do not want to use pink RV antifreeze in the system; that would be a disaster since it is not meant for high temperature heat transfer.  One could use extended life engine coolant, which is red, but that would be an unnecessary cost.  

There are red "boiler fluids" which are non-toxic and can be used with single wall heat exchangers.  There was a thread on this forum a few months ago in which these were discussed.  However, there is no real need for them since all the heat exchangers in the Hurricane system in your coach are dual wall.

As for the fault in your system, the user guide states that this fault indicates a short in the pump which you probably already know.  If the the pump is working but the board is indicating an error condition, I guess it could be a board-level problem.  My suggestion is to call Kevin Lambert at ITR; he is great at helping owners like us pinpoint problems.  He can be reached at: 360-993-4877 in Vancouver WA

Charles Wilson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:11 AM »
Thank You , I did check the fuses and they are ok, the pump runs and pumps, so I suspect the board is the likely culprit.

We did have some nasty thunderstorms recently!

Thank You for the input.

Charley