Author Topic: Fresh water tank -- how do I add water manually?  (Read 12985 times)

Keith Cooper

Re: Fresh water tank -- how do I add water manually?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
Start with a nearly full fresh water tank and to clorinate we use our Camco external water filter. By removing the internal cartridge and adding about 1 teaspoon of granular Chlorinating Concentrate for 100 gallons of water and reconnecting the hose we are able to clorinate the tank. Once the clorination process is completed we reinstall or replace the cartridge  in the external water filter. Pool and Hot tub stores and/or Amazon sell 2 lb bottles for $6 - $15. Suggest only carrying a small amount in the coach. This stuff is highly corrosive so some care must be taken in its storage.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:20:21 PM by 6267 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
At a big box garden or sprinkler system dept. you can find plastic devices for adding soluble fertilizer to outdoor watering configurations.  Simply adding bleach in the cylinder, already attached to the hose, and turning on the faucet works for me.  The one time I added bleach via a hose, there was an odd odor and flavor, beyond the bleach, that didn't disipate after several tank rinses.  I suspect the straight full strength bleach isn't chemically compatible with the hose interior, and I opted not to do that again.

Attached are photos of the method I developed.  The addition of the little shutoff valve inline means I don't have to leave the utility bay to go turn a faucet on and off.  The same setup serves to add a cup of baking soda, after a rinse a few hours later, to clear out any bleach odor before a trip and system use.  

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
Joel, that is a great idea.  Thank you for sharing.

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:56:20 AM »
One hitch is re. The baking soda;  when I tried simply putting the dry product in the bowl, there is some of it that doesn't dissolve and sticks stubbornly to the sides.  It is better to pre dissolve the soda, then add that solution to the bowl, screw it on, and turn on the fill water.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat